TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
trying to get back to the grind for applications after a long break since my first cycle...what does everyone use to research firms except from chambers/legal 500/the firm's website/firm events?

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 7, 2022
If you have applied to a firm in the last recruitment cycle, and the questions remain the same (why commercial law), am I expected/should I modify my answer to this completely? For context, I progressed through app stage for direct TC and now I am trying the vacation scheme route!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, do magic circle firms and top US firms look more favourably on candidates who have a GDL (but not with amazing grades) or who have not done their GDL at all yet?
hey @e1996, I do not think that it matters too much as law firms look at a variety of different things when assessing candidates. I was a non-law students with a master degree and I was successful in securing a TC and multiple vac scheme offers, but I also know people with GDLs who were successful but others who weren't. I think that what sets people apart are a variety of different aspects and not just whether they studied law through the GDL or not so do not look at this too heavily I would say! I hope that helps and good luck with the application cycle!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I usually couple together open days as one section on the application form in the work experience part, is it worth adding virtual open days (ones that I didn’t have to write an application for) in there too? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
I think it depends on you but if you already have in-person ones I would focus on those as those are considered to be more selective than the virtual ones. Good luck with the cycle!

Reactions: NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you have applied to a firm in the last recruitment cycle, and the questions remain the same (why commercial law), am I expected/should I modify my answer to this completely? For context, I progressed through app stage for direct TC and now I am trying the vacation scheme route!
Hey @Tanyakaur11, I would modify the application just because you need to show you have modified your application and you are a much better candidate now. I understand that it might be easier to keep your answers but I do not think it will help you too much so try to find new ways to write your answers so that you can show you have improved even more! Good luck with the cycle!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, do magic circle firms and top US firms look more favourably on candidates who have a GDL (but not with amazing grades) or who have not done their GDL at all yet?
I don’t think it really is one or the other. Committing to the GDL can show a commitment to pursuing a legal career, but it is by no means a requirement for the firms you have mentioned.

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
controversial but I did this with CMS one year. I got to AC both times. My app was obviously better and updated because I gained legal work experience between the two applications.. I just rewrote my answers in a clearer and naturally (a year on, in a better way) but I probably kept 60% of the answer from the year before.

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
Are in-person law fairs truly worth it? I have a university fair today but have come down with an awful cold. I'm a recent graduate and no longer live in the same city so would have to travel a few hours to attend. For one firm, it's the only in-person opportunity to engage with recruitment but I can't help but feel they're meeting so many people at once that they'd likely never remember me anyway.

Am I really missing out if I don't go?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.