TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
I would appreciate any advice thank you!

In the last week I have had:

Linklaters post AC PFO.
A&O post AC PFO.

I have now had 10 straight post AC PFO's in a row. My feedback is typically that I have good commercial awareness/technical knowledge, but sometimes my (why x firm) has felt scripted or that I lacked drive. I am clearly doing something wrong considering I have had this many PFO's. How should I go about really showing I want to work at the firm?
Is the feedback from all 10 ACs that you need to work on Why X Firm?

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
I have had that feedback from a few firms, the majority of the time I receive very generic feedback. Often hinting towards that I was good, but just not good enough if that makes sense.
I would really focus then on having clear, tangible reasons for why X firm, and demonstrate how that relates to your experiences. Just my opinion, but try and avoid fluffy or insincere language (e.g. 'chance to work on cutting edge deals with big global clients'.). Say, for example if you were talking about a firm with a wide array of practice areas 'My classes in X, Y, Z I have found interesting because [genuine reason], but I'm not sure what they would be like in practice, so I'd really like to train at a firm where I'll have the opportunity to experience all of these areas'. 'I completed an exchange year at X, and was surprised at the different ways of working in another culture. I really enjoyed building a rapport with students on exchange though and learned a lot from them, I'd like to continue to have the opportunity to work in international teams'.
Just try and make it sound sincere and related to your specific experiences as much as you can. I think this really helped me anyway.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I'm in the process of completing Taylor Wessing's application and am absolutely stumped.

They've asked "What motivates you for a career in Law at Taylor Wessing and what key skills would you bring?", which appears relatively standard, but you're only given 1,000 characters. I don't know how it's possible to give a detailed answer hitting why the firm, perhaps why law and addressing key skills in what appears to be about 160-170 words. Any tips?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

Linklaters post AC PFO.
A&O post AC PFO.

I have now had 10 straight post AC PFO's in a row. My feedback is typically that I have good commercial awareness/technical knowledge, but sometimes my (why x firm) has felt scripted or that I lacked drive. I am clearly doing something wrong considering I have had this many PFO's. How should I go about really showing I want to work at the firm?
Hey @Standardlawapplicant,

I am very sorry for this, however I would focus on the fact that you have now a good amount of feedback you can learn from. As much as you might be defeated, I would encourage you to be extremely proud of yourself for even getting to the assessment centres stage! This is enviable, it does not happen to many so be very proud of yourself!

In terms of your feedback specifically, I would say that the best way that I found to genuinely express why you are interested in a particular firm is finding genuine reasons that sparked your interest about the firm. I generally tried to find things about the firm that I could very easily relate to me and my background or interests. For instance, Latham or W&C have very good Africa practice, and given my African background, it is easy for someone to think that this is a genuine reason as to why I would be interested in that particular aspect of the firm. Really try to find genuine things about yourself that you can relate to your why this firm answer.

Always keep going and I hope that you take these negative responses as redirection to the rest of the firms you can apply to. Best of luck and I am sure you've got this!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I have had that feedback from a few firms, the majority of the time I receive very generic feedback. Often hinting towards that I was good, but just not good enough if that makes sense.
    I absolutely relate to you! I've gone through three rejections after assessment centers, and it's challenging to pinpoint what I need to improve on due to the vague feedback provided. I've noticed that the case study exercises are often where I stumble, but it's tough to get better when there's a scarcity of specific examples and feedback available online.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I'm in the process of completing Taylor Wessing's application and am absolutely stumped.

They've asked "What motivates you for a career in Law at Taylor Wessing and what key skills would you bring?", which appears relatively standard, but you're only given 1,000 characters. I don't know how it's possible to give a detailed answer hitting why the firm, perhaps why law and addressing key skills in what appears to be about 160-170 words. Any tips?
    In this answer, I would stick to a 50-50 split and so you can spend 85 words more on less on 2 reasons why you want to become a lawyer at the firm, and then 2 key skills that you have and you could bring as a lawyer, like attention to detail and teamwork. You then link them to an experience where you showed these skills.

I know it might be hard, but succinctness is a skill that law firm looks for so it is important to practice this. I did apply to Taylor Wessing last year and I got through the application stage and I used the tip I gave you and it worked well for me!

Good luck with the application and I hope I have been of some help!!

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020

Linklaters post AC PFO.
    A&O post AC PFO.

God i relate to this😮‍💨
    Ive even had a partner tell me that i was incredibly smart and was a good fit for the firm in the feedback but not gotten the offer because my answer for why this firm wasnt good enough.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Hey! Does anyone have any advice as to how long the Flex trainee/apprentice Covering Letter should be and what should be included? Is it the standard 'Why law/Why Flex Legal/Why me'? Thanks in advance!

1. Introduction.

2. Why law.

3. Why in-house/Flex(use this part to show how their scheme stands out from others - Flex is similar to Accutrainee if that helps). Two hard (concrete, like cases, practice areas etc) reasons and one soft (diversity, opportunities, secondments etc) reason should be fine.

4. Why you? You can mention your skills here and make sure to include examples rather than just listing. I stick to 3.

5. Express your thanks.

6. Sign off appropriately.

Last edited:

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! When I talking about the teamwork, should I use " we" instead of " I"? but how should I emphasis my role in the work?
    I think you should say I. I always used ''I'' because law firms always say that you should focus on what you did specifically and how you contributed in teamwork experiences.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre I have got through to the second stage interview for Gibson Dunn and was wondering if you had any advice? They said it would be an article review with questions and then an interview based on my CV. From past processes, I assume this is the final stage but it is online which I think is new this year? Primarily wondering what type of article they give you and what sort of questions they ask about it and also how the CV interview questions differ from the first stage?
    Congratulations!

The second stage is the final one and I did it online too! It consists of two interviews. The first one is based on your CV, your experiences and your motivations. The second interview is an article based interview and it is pretty straightforward. You then have a discussion with two partners about the article. I really enjoyed this process, it was really fun and engaging. I would not worry too much!

I prepared by discussing unseen article with friends two weeks before the interview and it worked out for me!
    Good luck with the process!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! When I talking about the teamwork, should I use " we" instead of " I"? but how should I emphasis my role in the work?
    You answer should be more focused on your input and impact on the group, and so lead with I the most, but there is likely to be the occasional aspect where you are describing how the team worked together and so in those instances, using we is ok (and makes sense).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.