TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    anyone has any tips about the " Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" ? what details should I showed in this questions. should I write what I have learned from the events? And how many events I should write ideally?
    If you have been to any of that specific firm’s events, then I’d put them right at the top and would make those paragraphs the chunkiest. Would recommend mentioning dates, the type of event and what you gained from it. If you haven’t been to that firm’s events then I’d list the events you have attended in chronological order (include date and type of event). You can also put the events you’ve secured spaces on too.

I have also made a conscious effort to include events at firms that are similar to the one I’m applying to. For example, if I’m applying to a silver circle firm and I’ve been to multiple silver circle events, I’d prioritise mentioning those over magic circle or US law firm events. Could be overthinking it but something worth considering!

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Anyone has any tips for the cover letter of Travers Smith? Should I follow the structure " why law" " why firm" and " why me" ?
    1. Introduction - introduce yourself (degrees etc) and state what scheme you are applying to.

2. Why law/commercial law.

3. Why Travers Smith - can mention cases, awards, rankings, anything unique to their firm. Would recommend choosing 3 things to write about.

4. Why you - good opportunity to showcase your skills. Would also choose 3 skills and give examples of when you demonstrated them and why this is relevant to your career as a commercial solicitor.

5. Express thanks and sign off appropriately.

PS - loads of us are patiently waiting for PFOs as the WVS is starting next month and the firm are only just handing out interviews 🤣

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    1. Introduction - introduce yourself (degrees etc) and state what scheme you are applying to.

2. Why law/commercial law.

3. Why Travers Smith - can mention cases, awards, rankings, anything unique to their firm. Would recommend choosing 3 things to write about.

4. Why you - good opportunity to showcase your skills. Would also choose 3 skills and give examples of when you demonstrated them and why this is relevant to your career as a commercial solicitor.

5. Express thanks and sign off appropriately.

PS - loads of us are patiently waiting for PFOs as the WVS is starting next month and the firm are only just handing out interviews 🤣
    I‘m applying their SVS,I think there recruit as non-rolling?

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    anyone has any tips about the " Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" ? what details should I showed in this questions. should I write what I have learned from the events? And how many events I should write ideally?
    I would include any events that you think have connections to the firm you are applying to, even if that is indirectly (eg with competitor firms, on topics the firm work in).

Focus on what you learned from the events, rather than what you did at them (most events follow a pretty similar format so saying you networked with trainees is pretty much a foregone conclusion).

Focusing on your personal learnings will make your answer more unique.

Reactions: Cynthia14

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey @Cynthia14,

I would highlight 2/3 open days you have attended (depending on the word count that you have) and depict what you have done during those events, describe how meeting lawyers inspired you to keep pursuing this path and emphasise any practice areas workshop you have done which made you interested in that practice area or area of law.

I remember that White & Case had a question like this and I made sure to highlight the open days that were around disputes or disputes focused because that is what I. was interested in at the time, and I was able to link it back to disputes and international arbitration at White & Case and it worked out well for me.

I hope this tip helps and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Anyone has any tips for the cover letter of Travers Smith? Should I follow the structure " why law" " why firm" and " why me" ?
    I think that this structure works well especially for firms like Travers Smith as you are able to highlight your motivations, your skills and your research on the firm. Make sure to be very specific to the firm and link all the skills you mentioned and that you have developed through your professional experiences to being a successful commercial solicitor at Travers Smith.

Feel free to mix the structure as you'd like, I personally believe that you should follow the structure that best resonates with you in terms of the things you want to mention and so write the cover letter as you may please. I feel like as long as you mention your motivations, your skills that you developed and showcase your motivations to the firm, I feel like it will work in your favour.

Good luck again!

Reactions: Cynthia14

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.