TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Would you happen to have any advice on how to approach this question?
    "Please identify an issue currently in the mainstream media and explain how this is likely to impact the clients that HFW represents and the type of work that the firm undertakes."

Struggling to find anything as they practice niche areas of law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Would you happen to have any advice on how to approach this question?
    "Please identify an issue currently in the mainstream media and explain how this is likely to impact the clients that HFW represents and the type of work that the firm undertakes."

Struggling to find anything as they practice niche areas of law.
    Hi there

Having looked at HFW’s services, although some could be classified as niche there are many that will link to broader/mainstream stories. They also have lots of “core” practice areas like corporate, finance and litigation.

I would recommend having a look at this page and then having a think if any of these areas are topics you are interested in and may have had recent developments that you have seen in the mainstream news outlets

• Love
    Reactions: Legalstalker

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 26, 2023
    Have you received any grades for mock papers or anything similar so far? If so, use them as a reference point.

If not, then I wouldn’t worry about it too much and just either say you don’t have any predicted grades or ask your personal tutor (although I’d expect them to say just put down a 2.1).

It’s very common for first years to not have any grades or predicted grades which is why your A-levels (or equivalent) will be looked at more closely alongside the rest of your application.
    We haven't had any mocks yet either! I'll put down a 2:1 since all my essay scores have been in the 60s.

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    What would my overall degree percentage be? The marks I scored in the 12 modules I took in my second and final year added together and divided by 12? I believe my final year grades were weighted more than my second year grades so not sure if this impacts it...?

If my uni didn't provide an overall percentage should I just not provide one to the firm rather than trying to work it out?

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    is anyone still waiting to hear back from w&c post vi for wvs? desperately trying to not freak out since they sent what I think was the 2nd batch of ACs yday

Nervous Season 3 GIF by The Office

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What would my overall degree percentage be? The marks I scored in the 12 modules I took in my second and final year added together and divided by 12? I believe my final year grades were weighted more than my second year grades so not sure if this impacts it...?

If my uni didn't provide an overall percentage should I just not provide one to the firm rather than trying to work it out?
    It will depend on the individual weighting of each module - usually you will get a certain number of credits for each individual module, so you will have to factor that in and then the weighting of your second and third year. Your transcript should provide some guidance on this weighting though and you can then work out your percentage from there.

Reactions: Cynthia14

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.