TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ChanA2626

Standard Member
Jan 22, 2022
Hi all, just wanted to ask for clarification:

1) Is it of general consensus that if you receive and take the VS for a UK firm, it is likely that you will be kept on for a TC?
2) Conversely, if you receive and take the VS for a US firm, there is much more competition for a TC hence no implications?

I have heard some leading US firms (V5, so think Cravath, Skadden...etc) have as many as >15 VS students but only <5 of them got the return offer for TC.

I have no knowledge of their UK counterparts.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, just wanted to ask for clarification:

1) Is it of general consensus that if you receive and take the VS for a UK firm, it is likely that you will be kept on for a TC?
2) Conversely, if you receive and take the VS for a US firm, there is much more competition for a TC hence no implications?

I have heard some leading US firms (V5, so think Cravath, Skadden...etc) have as many as >15 VS students but only <5 of them got the return offer for TC.

I have no knowledge of their UK counterparts.

Thanks a lot.
Hi @ChanA2626

I wouldn’t look at this at U.K. vs US firms.

It is much more about the ratio of VS to TC places. Many US firms with low TC numbers will have a ratio less favourable than many U.K. firms where the ratio is lower. But that can’t be said of all US firms, and it can’t be said of all U.K. firms.

For the majority of firms there will be a good chance of converting to a TC - that’s the whole purpose of the vacation scheme.

However, this will come down to your performance on the scheme. Firms are not going to be generous with converting and you will need to show the skill, qualities and knowledge that they will need to see in trainees. This is the case whether there is 1 TC for every VS place, or whether there is 1 TC for every 10 VS places.

It can be trickier for firms where there is a high ratio of VS to TC places because ultimately you may be competing for fewer spots against more VS candidates, and in these instances firms can be super selective in choosing from a group of high performing VS candidates, and they can just end up picking those who are the highest performing candidates from that group.

• 🤝
Reactions: ChanA2626 and axelbeugre

lovelaw223

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
Hey @lovelaw223,
In my experience, it is a case study about a commercial topic. Mine was about a private equity deal but I have heard many other cases around analysing who to fire from a company which is merging with another company, or what to consider in an M&A transaction with a private equity firm, things of this nature.

In terms of tips, I would say that the main thing is to be a team player during group exercises. Listen actively, contribute thoughtfully, and respect the opinions of others. Demonstrating collaboration skills is crucial in a law firm setting. It is not only about what you say but also how you contribute to the overall team and if you manage to make everyone feel comfortable, so focus on this aspect as well, which can be sometimes forgotten! Additionally, make sure that everyone on the team had a chance to say their piece, I think that this is a really great skill to demonstrate, i.e. being inclusive, as it shows that you are a great team player.

I would also brush off on your commercial awareness by keeping up-to-date with current news about the legal and business sector, particularly in areas that are of interest to the firm. For instance, my group task was around a tech company, which is an area of interest to Goodwin specifically, and so I expected something around technology. So, I think that if you can prepare on things that you think might come up in terms of main areas of interest to the firms it would be really good!

Lastly, be yourself throughout the process. As much as it can feel very daunting, I think that the best strategy is being yourself and making sure that you understood the task given. As long as you are able to do these things, I am sure that you will perform amazingly.

Good luck!
Thank you so much Axel!!

Lawstudent3sp

Jan 30, 2023
Hi @ChanA2626

I wouldn’t look at this at U.K. vs US firms.

It is much more about the ratio of VS to TC places. Many US firms with low TC numbers will have a ratio less favourable than many U.K. firms where the ratio is lower. But that can’t be said of all US firms, and it can’t be said of all U.K. firms.

For the majority of firms there will be a good chance of converting to a TC - that’s the whole purpose of the vacation scheme.

However, this will come down to your performance on the scheme. Firms are not going to be generous with converting and you will need to show the skill, qualities and knowledge that they will need to see in trainees. This is the case whether there is 1 TC for every VS place, or whether there is 1 TC for every 10 VS places.

It can be trickier for firms where there is a high ratio of VS to TC places because ultimately you may be competing for fewer spots against more VS candidates, and in these instances firms can be super selective in choosing from a group of high performing VS candidates, and they can just end up picking those who are the highest performing candidates from that group.
are there any firms which tend to have a high ratio of TCs to offer with respect to VS places they offer? (so firms where the VS is less competitive and perhaps getting to VS stage is the harder part?)

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
are there any firms which tend to have a high ratio of TCs to offer with respect to VS places they offer? (so firms where the VS is less competitive and perhaps getting to VS stage is the harder part?)
You can look at the ratio of Vac Schemes to Training Contracts on Law Careers net Obviously, some of those firms may recruit quite heavily for direct Training Contracts (I know for fact that Slaughter and May does), but US firms like Milbank or Willkie Farr & Gallagher pretty much take all their Trainees from the Vac Schemes. Generally, I think US firms have fewer direct Training Contracts available because 1) smaller teams and 2) well, higher salaries (I guess). The training can be less structured so I guess a lot of these firms have to be sure you'll a self-starter before hiring you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It tends the be the firms with the largest TC intakes, but I would stress these firms do direct TC recruitment hiring too, so they know they don’t have to offer their VS candidates places.

There are lots of variables in this process and so the ratio is not going to give you a clear indication of how competitive a VS to TC process is (or how difficult it is to secure a VS in the first place), it just really identifies certain possibilities.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Hi everyone! I am new to this platform and trying to navigate this platform. I am from Djibouti and recently moved to the UK to explore legal careers. I have work experience as a labourer in Djibouti and I heard that one does not need legal work experience to apply for TCs. Please can someone confirm if that is correct?
Hi, welcome to the forum :) It’s definitely possible to obtain a TC without legal experience. But I think it’s important to show firms that you have engaged with firms/ attended events that show your commitment to the profession and also your understanding of what it means to work as a lawyer and the work itself. Do you have a law degree or studied a different subject at university?

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Anyone have an update about Stephenson Harwood?

In my preferred dates, I specified my interest in participating in the firm's winter placement scheme but haven't heard back since.

Have they started replying to applicants?
I'm in the same position and a few others are too. Some have received a SJT, some haven't heard back. I haven't seen any PFOs on here currently. Maybe worth emailing grad rec for an update?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.