Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I did a VI for a law firm recently and got a question that I wasn’t necessarily ready for and so therefore had to come up with an answer on the spot. The question was something along the lines of “How do you handle work pressure, and what work environments or situations do you feel pressured by?” I spoke about two points for the first part of the question, which was that I handle work pressure by prioritising my tasks (I gave an example of handling many clients and conflicting deadlines at a legal advice clinic I worked), and I also talked about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, as it helps me handle the pressure. For the second part of the question I said that dealing with very tight and conflicting deadlines is a type of situation that pressures me, but because of my ability to prioritise my tasks, I’ve been able to overcome that pressure throughout my previous work experiences. Would you guys say that is an adequate answer and that I have answered the question? Really nervous about this one! Sorry for the long message, thank you!
It’s really hard to give you an accurate insight into this without hearing the full answer and how it was delivered verbally. However, it sounds like it has a good basis for being an adequate answer as you have highlighted what creates pressure for you and how you handle it - so it sounds like you have answered the full question.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Aspiring lawyer2023

Standard Member
Dec 10, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I did a VI for a law firm recently and got a question that I wasn’t necessarily ready for and so therefore had to come up with an answer on the spot. The question was something along the lines of “How do you handle work pressure, and what work environments or situations do you feel pressured by?” I spoke about two points for the first part of the question, which was that I handle work pressure by prioritising my tasks (I gave an example of handling many clients and conflicting deadlines at a legal advice clinic I worked), and I also talked about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, as it helps me handle the pressure. For the second part of the question I said that dealing with very tight and conflicting deadlines is a type of situation that pressures me, but because of my ability to prioritise my tasks, I’ve been able to overcome that pressure throughout my previous work experiences. Would you guys say that is an adequate answer and that I have answered the question? Really nervous about this one! Sorry for the long message, thank you
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I did a VI for a law firm recently and got a question that I wasn’t necessarily ready for and so therefore had to come up with an answer on the spot. The question was something along the lines of “How do you handle work pressure, and what work environments or situations do you feel pressured by?” I spoke about two points for the first part of the question, which was that I handle work pressure by prioritising my tasks (I gave an example of handling many clients and conflicting deadlines at a legal advice clinic I worked), and I also talked about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, as it helps me handle the pressure. For the second part of the question I said that dealing with very tight and conflicting deadlines is a type of situation that pressures me, but because of my ability to prioritise my tasks, I’ve been able to overcome that pressure throughout my previous work experiences. Would you guys say that is an adequate answer and that I have answered the question? Really nervous about this one! Sorry for the long message, thank you!
I had this question too!

Reactions: axelbeugre

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    McDermott, Will & Emery?

More like McDermott, Will they ever get back to me? 💔

peep show GIF

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I agree with Jessica here, it really is difficult to gauge the efficacy of an answer in a video interview format but from what you said it sounds like this was a perfect answer to the question so if you're delivery was confident, you smiled throughout the assessment and you were coming off as friendly and outgoing I am sure that it will work out!

Good luck with the process!

Reactions: Zaidoz10

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Do formal cover letters, where you are sending them to the firm, with a CV in an email, require the normal cover letter formalities (date, address, FAO etc)? Or, can you just jump straight into 'Dear Hiring Manager,'

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.