Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what’s the difference between Freshfield’s Winter and Summer Intakes for direct TC?
If you mean the actual trainee intake - there will be no difference, they just split the trainees every six months because they can’t have 80-100 people start at the same time.

If you mean the recruitment application windows, then there is likely to be some difference in eligibility criteria of when/who can apply.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When a firm offers an SQE/maintenance grant of eg £20,000, is this money to cover the cost of the prep courses + exams, or do they automatically cover these costs and the £20,000 is extra to this? @Jessica Booker
Maintenance grants typically mean an amount of money outside of courses and exams, which are usually covered separately by the firm. However, it’s probably worthwhile double checking with the firm.

Reactions: user12345law

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What time do GR at law firms tend to go home from work? I can imagine it's a 9-5? as they're not bound to their seats like their lawyer counterparts. @Jessica Booker
I regularly racked up 70 hour weeks at one firm! Would easily do 8am-8pm (or later) at another.

Some may work 9-5 (or more likely 9.30-5.30 for London firms), but I would expect a lot of GR to be regularly working beyond their contracted hours.

Once you also factor in events, whether evening events or travelling to universities for campus events, the hours can get pretty horrendous at times. It is very cyclical though, but this time of year can be pretty full on.

Does depend on the firm though, and how well resourced the GR team is.

biglaworbust

Jun 29, 2023
Anyone heard back from Linklaters for Summer VS? I completed the online assessment (SJT & WG) Dec 13th ish. Also on my "Assessment Development Report" my highest scoring attributes were Respect and Critical Thinking with my lowest scoring attributing being Motivation. Anyone have any insight as to whether that is what they are looking for?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.