Teams involved in fundraising

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi @Jaysen

Would you be able to tell me what teams/areas would be involved in a fundraising round for a private company?

Many thanks!

Callum

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen

Would you be able to tell me what teams/areas would be involved in a fundraising round for a private company?

Many thanks!

Callum

I currently work in corporate finance, where we do a lot of fundraising for private companies. The below is an example of a current deal:
    • The corporate practice or PE/VC practice (depends on the firm) will run the deal on both the investor and the investee sides.

• For the investee, it has only been the corporate practice that has been explicitly involved. Other practices, such as tax, were consulted on individual points (e.g. regarding EIS/SEIS) but have not been involved further.

• The investor will want to run DD on the investee and this will involve similar practices to those involved during DD for an acquisition. For the purpose of DD on this deal, sponsor-side counsel has formally involved the firm's corporate, employment, IP, real estate, tax, and data protection practices.

• The investee in this deal is domiciled outside of England and Wales in a jurisdiction where the investor's lawyers are not experienced. As such, they have also brought in counsel from a local law firm in that jurisdiction specifically to advise on real estate.

• This is all unique to the circumstances of the investment and the investee. An investment in a different company might require other practices in addition to those listed above.

Hope this all makes sense!

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I currently work in corporate finance, where we do a lot of fundraising for private companies. The below is an example of a current deal:
    • The corporate practice or PE/VC practice (depends on the firm) will run the deal on both the investor and the investee sides.

• For the investee, it has only been the corporate practice that has been explicitly involved. Other practices, such as tax, were consulted on individual points (e.g. regarding EIS/SEIS) but have not been involved further.

• The investor will want to run DD on the investee and this will involve similar practices to those involved during DD for an acquisition. For the purpose of DD on this deal, sponsor-side counsel has formally involved the firm's corporate, employment, IP, real estate, tax, and data protection practices.

• The investee in this deal is domiciled outside of England and Wales in a jurisdiction where the investor's lawyers are not experienced. As such, they have also brought in counsel from a local law firm in that jurisdiction specifically to advise on real estate.

• This is all unique to the circumstances of the investment and the investee. An investment in a different company might require other practices in addition to those listed above.

Hope this all makes sense!

This is brilliant thank you!

Would you mind me dropping you a message to follow up?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.