Sidley Austin vac interview

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
I have an interview with Sidley Austin in three new year. However, this will be the first firm I've interviewed with that I haven't previously visited or interacted with in some way. Usually I suppliment my reasons for applying with personal experiences and interactions from my visits. Any suggestions of how to express equivalent interest despite not visiting the firm?

LuLa

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 28, 2019
Hi!
So to be honest you wouldn't be needing that information anyways.
My interview was for a summer scheme in February 2018 (so almost two years ago), but I gather they haven't changed the process.
It is a very commercial based interview. My interview lasted about half an hour and the partners started asking their questions based off what I wrote in my application. There was a question which asked "talk about a news story that has recently interested you and explain why it has interested you".
I remember I spoke about Amazon and how there were calls from government and regulators to essentially "regulate it" so as to stop its monopoly. then i explained how I thought this was quite interesting considering that usually anticompetitive behavior by organizations is behavior that ultimately goes to harm the consumer (whereas Amazon provides the best service at the best price etc...)
So basically the partners went off that and I remember they asked me follow up questions such as "would you say e-books and books are two different markets"... etc

They also asked me standard questions like "where else have you applied", do you have any other offers.. etc.

Essentially I think Sidley is one of the few interviews around which does not follow a set structure and its basically up to the partners what they ask you (and that is a positive imo).
So I guess brush up on what has been going on/anything you mentioned in your application and what sort of questions could be asked on the back of that.

Good luck!

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
Hi!
So to be honest you wouldn't be needing that information anyways.
My interview was for a summer scheme in February 2018 (so almost two years ago), but I gather they haven't changed the process.
It is a very commercial based interview. My interview lasted about half an hour and the partners started asking their questions based off what I wrote in my application. There was a question which asked "talk about a news story that has recently interested you and explain why it has interested you".
I remember I spoke about Amazon and how there were calls from government and regulators to essentially "regulate it" so as to stop its monopoly. then i explained how I thought this was quite interesting considering that usually anticompetitive behavior by organizations is behavior that ultimately goes to harm the consumer (whereas Amazon provides the best service at the best price etc...)
So basically the partners went off that and I remember they asked me follow up questions such as "would you say e-books and books are two different markets"... etc

They also asked me standard questions like "where else have you applied", do you have any other offers.. etc.

Essentially I think Sidley is one of the few interviews around which does not follow a set structure and its basically up to the partners what they ask you (and that is a positive imo).
So I guess brush up on what has been going on/anything you mentioned in your application and what sort of questions could be asked on the back of that.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, did you end up doing the summer scheme? If you did may I message you to ask about your experience?

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
I interviewed with Sidley Austin for their VS in 2018. Personally, it was the hardest interview i've ever had to do. This is because the two partners went through my CV in quite a lot of detail and would ask very technical questions. So the best advice I have is to avoid saying things you're not too sure on or can't recall too well! I was asked about the types of remuneration structures for fund managers and different structures of funds because I did an internship at a funds team a while back.

However, the interviewers were very friendly and it really is conversational, so just remember you can 'sort-of' control where the interview leads to depending on what you choose to say. I was also asked about what separates Sidley Austin from other law firms and asked about what type of work they had done. So definitely prepare well! The Lawyer and other news sites, their website and the tables are all useful resources.

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
I interviewed with Sidley Austin for their VS in 2018. Personally, it was the hardest interview i've ever had to do. This is because the two partners went through my CV in quite a lot of detail and would ask very technical questions. So the best advice I have is to avoid saying things you're not too sure on or can't recall too well! I was asked about the types of remuneration structures for fund managers and different structures of funds because I did an internship at a funds team a while back.

However, the interviewers were very friendly and it really is conversational, so just remember you can 'sort-of' control where the interview leads to depending on what you choose to say. I was also asked about what separates Sidley Austin from other law firms and asked about what type of work they had done. So definitely prepare well! The Lawyer and other news sites, their website and the tables are all useful resources.

Sounds like it will be tough, thank you very much.

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
What sort of commercial issue would you guys recommend to focus on? given you got interviews I'd appreciate any help you could give!

From my interview experience, I wasn't explicitly asked about wider commercial issues. Discussion of commercial issues were only in reference to the article I got which had to do with the retail sector. So I guess just maintaining a broad awareness of current commercial issues.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
From my interview experience, I wasn't explicitly asked about wider commercial issues. Discussion of commercial issues were only in reference to the article I got which had to do with the retail sector. So I guess just maintaining a broad awareness of current commercial issues.
For the application form what type of issue did you use?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.