DLA Piper Application

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi all, I've just submitted my application to DLA Piper and was a bit concerned about me not attaching a cover letter with my application. It was mentioned on the application form that this was not necessary and having done some searching on this site, this seems to have been confirmed by GR. However, would me not attaching a cover letter put me at a disadvantage?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I've just submitted my application to DLA Piper and was a bit concerned about me not attaching a cover letter with my application. It was mentioned on the application form that this was not necessary and having done some searching on this site, this seems to have been confirmed by GR. However, would me not attaching a cover letter put me at a disadvantage?

If they say it’s not needed, you are not at a disadvantage.

the only way I could see it being a disadvantage is if your cover letter mentioned something that you needed to explain that wasn’t in your application form - by this I mean things like explaining ext circs or requesting reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process.

If you cover letter included things like that, just email them a copy.

D

Deleted member 2707

If they say it’s not needed, you are not at a disadvantage.

the only way I could see it being a disadvantage is if your cover letter mentioned something that you needed to explain that wasn’t in your application form - by this I mean things like explaining ext circs or requesting reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process.

If you cover letter included things like that, just email them a copy.

Thank you!

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
Hi, I've submitted my application to DLA Piper and been invited to complete a Watson Glaser test. However when I applied to DLA Piper last year, I had to do numerical and verbal reasoning tests instead of the Watson Glaser. I just wanted to double check that they have changed the process to Watson Glaser and so there's no need for me to practice numerical reasoning tests?

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi, I've submitted my application to DLA Piper and been invited to complete a Watson Glaser test. However when I applied to DLA Piper last year, I had to do numerical and verbal reasoning tests instead of the Watson Glaser. I just wanted to double check that they have changed the process to Watson Glaser and so there's no need for me to practice numerical reasoning tests?

Yeah, only a timed 30-minute Watson Glaser test. Good luck!

Reactions: JayB and Holly

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
Is the DLA Piper Watson Glaser test automated?
Or do they pre-screen your app and only if you are successful at application stage you are sent the Watson Glaser?

D

Deleted member 2707

Hey! I was wondering what the turn around time for DLA is? I believe its rolling applications so we wouldn't have to wait until the deadline right?

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
No I haven't. To be honest, I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of people who on Linkedin have already secured a place on the 2020 summer internship but surely they won't have filled all their places a month before the deadline?

Reactions: JoNo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No I haven't. To be honest, I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of people who on Linkedin have already secured a place on the 2020 summer internship but surely they won't have filled all their places a month before the deadline?

dont DLA take on quite a big number of interns - think it’s about 100 each year? To get to that kind of number you have to generally start making offers before the deadline is reached.

Reactions: Lauren

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019

Yeah me too, some other user on here mentioned they secured a 2020 internship after completing an insight scheme with them (a fast track).

I feel that’s not very fair, as it may mean they may not even consider looking at the apps of the candidates who sent direct apps.

Reactions: tt_xo

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
dont DLA take on quite a big number of interns - think it’s about 100 each year? To get to that kind of number you have to generally start making offers before the deadline is reached.

Hi Jessica

It’s been near enough two months now and I haven’t heard anything back I know some of my friends have received rejections but I’m still yet to hear. Does this mean it’s a rejection? As they seem to be recruiting a large amount from their insight scheme. I applied direct.

I emailed graduate recruitment at the end of October and they said they will get back to me in the next couple of weeks.. but still nothing! Do you think I should email them again?

Also I think it is 100 spaces.

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019

Hi Lauren,

I haven’t either post-WG, when did you submit your application?

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Yeah me too, some other user on here mentioned they secured a 2020 internship after completing an insight scheme with them (a fast track).

I feel that’s not very fair, as it may mean they may not even consider looking at the apps of the candidates who sent direct apps.

Hi Aaron,

When did you submit your application? in October?

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hi Aaron,

When did you submit your application? in October?

Hi Sairah yeah I submitted it on 7th October so basically two months I’ve been waiting, getting very impatient now.. probably may email them again as some people have submitted it after me and have received rejections. So I may be in the ‘maybe’ pile I don’t know

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

It’s been near enough two months now and I haven’t heard anything back I know some of my friends have received rejections but I’m still yet to hear. Does this mean it’s a rejection? As they seem to be recruiting a large amount from their insight scheme. I applied direct.

I emailed graduate recruitment at the end of October and they said they will get back to me in the next couple of weeks.. but still nothing! Do you think I should email them again?

Also I think it is 100 spaces.

can you check the status of your application by logging back into your application? If so do that rather than contact them. If not, then contact them maybe next week/or the week after.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.