TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

B.B.

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I never said they hire exclusively from Oxbridge, I said they prioritise Oxbridge graduates/students.

Well done for the WG maybe they have started considering apps holistically. But their previous trainees cohort are composed of at least half Oxbridge.
I really hope they don't prioritise Oxbridge 😩 I still have to pass a few stages to get an offer lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
What is the common courtesy surrounding 'thank you' emails after an AC, is it something which we are expected to do? And if so who do we address the email to?

No expectation for you to do this. You can send a thank you though at the same time - just keep it short/polite and focused on the thank you.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Covington had to piss on my Monday of good news off two other firms, didn't they... Oh well c'est la vie

Look Whos Talking Now Omg GIF

• 🏆
    Reactions: atlas2425 and Sharon Wu

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    I'm guessing if you haven't heard from Mischcon by now you can consider it a PFO?
    I think someone on here said they contacted them and they said due to volume of applicants they're hoping to get back to everyone by end of Feb? Not 100% sure but think I read that on here somewhere - I feel the same tho 🤝

milo

Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2022
    For all those who've completed the Mishcon VI this cycle, how many questions were asked and how long did you have to prepare and then speak. Any pointers about the kinds of question asked would be hugely appreciated (competency, motivational, firm strategy etc.). Many thanks!

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    So I had my BCLP interview in December. They emailed me afterwards saying I made it to the AC and I will get the invite over January. Given what I have been hearing about them recently I didn't to work there anyway so never chased the AC invite. Just realised it's the end of Jan now and they never contacted me. What a company!
    This is odd. I got the AC invite after this happened to me too. It might have ended up in your junk folder or there’s been an admin error. You should chase ASAP.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Hey I'm just completing my application for Hill Dickinson now, and they have two questions:
    1. Why are you applying to Hill Dickinson for a training contract?
    2. We offer sector-specific training contracts in each of our business services, health and marine groups. Why are you interested in a sector-specific training contract and why have you chosen this sector? i.e. business services, health or marine.

How have people tackled the first question? Obviously I can't really talk about specific sectors/ areas of law which they do well in, as that's the focus of the second question, so have focused more on the culture side of the firm, but I'm scared it's coming across as superficial. Any advice?
    Why are you applying to Hill Dickinson for a training contract? (250 words)
    1. I would mention interactions with people at the firm and how they were positive.
    2. As they have a small trainee intake, explain why you like this.
    3. Quality of the training and pro bono opportunities.

We are pleased to offer sector-specific training contracts in each of our business services, health and marine groups. Why are you interested in completing a sector-specific training contract and why have you chosen this sector? i.e. business services, health or marine. (250 words)

1. Talk about how these link to your school or university modules and are therefore intellectually stimulating. Or past work experience for that matter.
    2. cross border work and why you like that in the context of specific sectors they do. Like m&a
    3. Same point, maybe talk about business services

Make sure you bring in specifically why they interest you for each one and examples of whether it’s academic or work exp that you want to do similar work. Where possible try to mention interactions with the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.