Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I know how frustrating it can be to be rejected from a firm you really like. I would just keep in mind there are so many reasons why the rejection could have happened, especially given just how many thousands of people are applying for a small number of roles.

It's very common for any recruiter to check a LinkedIn profile - it really doesn't mean that much, but I'd be wary of assuming it means more than it actually does.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone applied through 10K Black Interns? If so which firms and what has been the update?
    Mine has been Mills and Reeve and BDB Pitmans.
    I'm annoyed because Mills & Reeve say I have to wait till mid February - March! I applied all the way back in November.
    It takes a while for firms to be allocated their applicants, hence the slightly longer timeframes.

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Update on my first ever AC journey : its about a month away still, but feeling much less overwhelmed then i was a week ago - managed to find some time after work and divide my tasks. For any of you who are overwhelmed about upcoming ACs, what helped me is a friend who told me not to see it as an opportunity to pass or fail but an opportunity to learn a lot. Ultimately, whatever the outcome, it will make you a stronger candidate with more insight going forward :) Simple advise but really helped me switch perspectives and lose some of the internal pressure aha

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I think it depends on the firm. One firm may value leadership over resilience while it could easily be the other way around. A general list of qualities though (in no particular order):

Self awareness
    A drive to learn
    Determination
    Adaptability
    An interest in the firm’s work
    Collaboration skills
    Time mamagement
    Resilience
    Problem solving
    Analytical thinking
    Drive/proactiveness
    Communication skills (written and spoken)
    Commercial awareness
    Open mindedness
    Positivity
    The ability to simplify the difficult
    Originality/independent thought
    Willingness to drive your own career/development forward
    Thank you @Jessica Booker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I haven’t been too active on the forum since my HSF rejection post-AC as it was my dream firm and with all the effort I put in, it was tough to keep going. As such, I said I was done with this cycle following that outcome.

However, I’ve had 10 days to pick myself up and am now even more motivated for this cycle to end positively.

Since then, I’ve had a Mishcon VI invite and a Baker SJT invite, while I still have a Taylor Wessing AC coming up soon.

Still waiting on W&C, Travers, HL, and Dentons (don’t know where they’ve disappeared off to) but the small wins are enough to try and stay optimistic.

It’s a tough process and just wanted to let everyone know how proud you should be of yourselves for continuing to apply and keep going, despite the PFOs. We’ll all get there in the end, and I appreciate this community immensely. Rooting for you all.
    The process is brutal but you are doing so well and you should be so proud of yourself. You are an inspiration for many I am sure and seeing the amount of small wins you have shared despite your rejection from HSF shows how you are destined to be a lawyer.

Always believe in your dream and your goal, despite all the rejections and the nos that you will see on your path. I wish you all the best with your assessment centres and video interviews.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.