Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Then I think it is important to mention briefly (and I mean very briefly) what drew you to law, but to focus your content on why commercial law.

Thank you!

I also have one more unrelated question- I was wondering what kind of practical steps do firms in general take to ensure diversity during the recruitment process? For instance, I've seen photos of some firms' winter scheme intakes and the disparity between the firms with a good mix and those without were quite big so I just wanted to get a good understanding before making any judgements.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you!

I also have one more unrelated question- I was wondering what kind of practical steps do firms in general take to ensure diversity during the recruitment process? For instance, I've seen photos of some firms' winter scheme intakes and the disparity between the firms with a good mix and those without were quite big so I just wanted to get a good understanding before making any judgements.

Main issue is actually attracting applicants that are diverse. That’s why so many firms put efforts into various diversity initiatives/events to try and improve the number of applications they receive from specific demographics.

One major issue with winter schemes are that they are typically either for, or more represented by, non-law graduates. Getting BAME applicants from non-law degree is far more difficult than getting them from law degrees. Happy to explain the reasons for this if anyone wants me to.

Once you’ve got past the application stage, then there are a series of measures firms put in place that a candidate will never be aware of to ensure diversity is maintained. These include:

1. monitoring adverse impact: those delays in finding out whether you have been successful post online test are sometimes down to firms waiting for enough candidates to take the test so they can monitor adverse impact. Basically there is a “good practice” rule where if less than 80% of one demographic gets through compared to the other demographic, then it is deemed to have adverse impact. Firms will typically try do things to reduce that, typically be lowering benchmarks/test scores. They also then may replace that particular assessment the following year.
  2. Unconscious bias training for assessors: for some firms, anyone involved in the recruitment process will have to complete mandatory training around unconscious bias
  3. CV blind recruitment processes - even if you provide information to a firm, it is sometimes the case your assessors will receive very limited personal information on you. Sometimes information is redacted out so your assessors only get relevant information about you (eg typically your university is redacted out)
  4. Diversity monitoring - data analysis that looks at how many people are getting to each stage. It may not impact the recruitment there and then, but is likely to impact future recruitment cycles if they find any concerning drops.
On top of the above, there will be a number of things you do see in the recruitment process:
  1. Contextualised recruitment systems
  2. Panel interviews or multiple assessors at assessment centre (reduces the risk of unconscious bias)
  3. CV blind recruitment processes
  4. Competitions/events that act as fast-track to assessment centres
  5. Scholarships/bursaries
I wouldn’t just assume because a photo looks undiverse that it means it actually is though. Diversity comes in many forms - most of them are not seen forms of diversity. Just because a photo of an intake looks “white” that doesn’t show their socio-economic background (working class white men are now the most under represented groups in university and professional jobs), their sexual identity (and even their gender), whether they have a disability, and age isn’t always clear too.

But even if you are sat there thinking “I’m not represented in that group, so I won’t apply”, I would strongly encourage you to not do so. You’re only playing your part (albeit very small) in contributing to the problem rather than improving it.

I’ve been in instances where I have thrown every effort I can into improving diversity in an intake. Everything has looked good up until the later stages of the recruitment process and then due to people withdrawing their applications or declining offers, the end results weren’t as strong. There are multiple bits of evidence to show that minority groups are also far more likely to accept their first job offer than hold out for multiple offers. So sometimes there are a lot of things are out of the recruiter’s/firm’s control.

Also, people choosing the “choose not to disclose” option on equal opportunities questionnaires is often not helpful. Obviously everyone has a right to choose this option, but if recruiters are relying on reports of people disclosing to monitor intake diversity, and say 20-30% of your hired intake don’t complete their equal oops questions or choose the “do not disclose” option, your diversity data looks very different to what your “seen” diversity could be assumed to be.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I get a lot of queries that are basically ”I’m applying to X firm who advised me to do Y, but this contradicts general advice given more widely”.

The answer is if the advice is being given to you by the graduate recruitment team, ALWAYS follow what they say!!!!

Sometimes the lawyers can get it wrong (depends how close the are to GR) but if the GR are giving you specific advice, definitely follow it.

General advice is always generic - it's helpful 90% of the time but there will always be exceptions and firms are explicitly telling you what those exceptions are, then you should follow them.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

nina_123

Distinguished Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

With regards to the education section on the online application forms, it states this: Please select the school where you sat the majority of your A-Level or equivalent examinations and the year that you took them. When I enter my school's name, I am only allowed to select one year.

If I took my A-Level equivalent exams across 2 years, would I select the year that I took a majority of these exams or the year I enrolled at this school. Would I need to explain this in the Additional Info section?

Thank you so much!! :) :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

With regards to the education section on the online application forms, it states this: Please select the school where you sat the majority of your A-Level or equivalent examinations and the year that you took them. When I enter my school's name, I am only allowed to select one year.

If I took my A-Level equivalent exams across 2 years, would I select the year that I took a majority of these exams or the year I enrolled at this school. Would I need to explain this in the Additional Info section?

Thank you so much!! :) :)

Did you do three in one year? If so, choose that year (that will be the most relevant grades).

Then clarify in the additional information section stating you could only pick one year, so clarifying those not taken that year

• ℹ️
Reactions: nina_123

Sarah R

Dec 16, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Could you provide your tips on how to approach a written task at an AC please? I have one coming up and I'm told that I'll be asked to review details of a case and write a letter of advice to the client.

I've been given feedback from a similar task that I need to improve the layout of the draft, so I'll focus on that, but anything else you can add would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Could you provide your tips on how to approach a written task at an AC please? I have one coming up and I'm told that I'll be asked to review details of a case and write a letter of advice to the client.

I've been given feedback from a similar task that I need to improve the layout of the draft, so I'll focus on that, but anything else you can add would be appreciated!

Thank you!

If structure has been an issue in the past, don’t rush into start writing your answer. Take sometime to think about the following before you start writing:

Does the information in front of you present any information on what the client thinks is important? If so, how can you make it clear why this is/isn’t important.

What might the client not be aware of that they need to be? If so, think about how you can present this in jargon free terminology

What actions does the firm or the client need to take for this to be successful? Think about them presenting this upfront/early on in your advice - you can always presenting supporting evidence afterwards.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

Would love to hear your advice for this question:

Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm. (300 words)

For the second half of the question, "why you believe you are suited to the firm", would it be appropriate to pick two competencies of the firm and give specific examples of why the firm require those competencies, and then relate back to my experiences and how would do well at the firm through those competencies?

Also, is it an appropriate method to treat this cover letter as consisting of 2 separate questions? Thank you! :D

Sarah R

Dec 16, 2019
    If structure has been an issue in the past, don’t rush into start writing your answer. Take sometime to think about the following before you start writing:

Does the information in front of you present any information on what the client thinks is important? If so, how can you make it clear why this is/isn’t important.

What might the client not be aware of that they need to be? If so, think about how you can present this in jargon free terminology

What actions does the firm or the client need to take for this to be successful? Think about them presenting this upfront/early on in your advice - you can always presenting supporting evidence afterwards.

Great, thank you Jessica!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm. (300 words)

For the second half of the question, "why you believe you are suited to the firm", would it be appropriate to pick two competencies of the firm and give specific examples of why the firm require those competencies, and then relate back to my experiences and how would do well at the firm through those competencies?

Also, is it an appropriate method to treat this cover letter as consisting of 2 separate questions? Thank you! :D
    Have you had a look at the Skadden thread on here?

Reactions: R203

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

competencies might be a way to do it, but I don’t think it’s necessary to do so (unless the firm explicitly encourages this approach).

You don’t have to approach it as two separate questions either - some parts of your answer could easily be inter-twined. You have to make sure both parts are answered though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker!

I was wondering where to list Open Days/events at law firms in a CV? Under their own heading?

Also, would it be OK to compile positions of responsibility and volunteering experience under one single heading?

up to you - some people put it in work experience, some people put them in a separate section. Think it depends what you work experience looks like.

yes - sounds appropriate

SianUphillxo

Dec 18, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I will be finishing my law degree in June and starting the LPC in September. Is the MSc in Law, Business and Management offered by the University of Law worth doing? Or is it viewed by recruiters as a worthless Masters as obviously it is just an extra module alongside the LPC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    What is meant by using a narrative form in the work experience section? I usually use bullet points but one application asks for it to be provided in narrative form.

Thank you.

Judy

just sounds like they are asking you to write in paragraphs, full sentences and as a whole/considered piece of writing, rather than bullet points.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.