Ask Ropes & Gray Anything! Join Maya Shah to learn about applying to a leading transactional law firm

Shoval

Nov 24, 2023
In the University law fair I asked about first year Law undergraduate programs and they said there is a negotiation program. Could not find any information about that on your website and I'm interested to get more information about it. Thank you!

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
Oct 31, 2023
Hi Maya,

Thanks for answering our questions.

Could you please explain why this is the case. It doesn’t seem logical nor fair for candidates to be penalised simply because they completed the LPC, even if they are willing to do the SQE at a later time.

I don’t know if I haven’t looked hard enough (so apologies if I’m wrong) but I don’t think I’ve come across another firm who specifically state they wouldn’t consider candidates if they completed the LPC, instead they consider whether they need to sit the SQE2.

Many thanks in advance.
If we were to accept LPC students, we would still have to run an LPC qualification route, which incorporates PSC core and elective models, in addition to running the SQE route programme. We don’t have the resources to run what would be two separate training contract programs. We have therefore decided, like many other firms, to transition straight to the new SQE qualification route.

As we only recruit 12 trainees a year, for a variety of reasons, we made the business decision to recruit trainees who have exclusively completed the SQE route.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
Oct 31, 2023
In the University law fair I asked about first year Law undergraduate programs and they said there is a negotiation program. Could not find any information about that on your website and I'm interested to get more information about it. Thank you!
Thanks. The negotiation workshops are on our events calendar on our website. If you are interested in attending any of the workshops - please email [email protected] with your interest. The events calendar is here: https://www.ropesgrayrecruiting.com/en/uk/students-graduates/events-schedule

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    If we were to accept LPC students, we would still have to run an LPC qualification route, which incorporates PSC core and elective models, in addition to running the SQE route programme. We don’t have the resources to run what would be two separate training contract programs. We have therefore decided, like many other firms, to transition straight to the new SQE qualification route.

As we only recruit 12 trainees a year, for a variety of reasons, we made the business decision to recruit trainees who have exclusively completed the SQE route.
    Hi Maya,

I don't ask this question for my benefit (I have just graduated but I am taking a gap year), but for the benefit of those with LPCs who are in the middle of their application cycle. From your post (and please correct me if I am wrong) I understand that Ropes & Gray is not the only law firm to not accept LPC students but only those who have studied the SQE per "like many other firms...". Could you clarify what other law firms in the market do not allow LPC students to apply to them, even if they intend to do the SQE? Again, not for my benefit, but for the benefit of those that might be looking at firms and are (rightfully) concerned about this trend.

Thank you so much for taking time to answer these questions!

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023

Hi Maya,

Thanks for the response.

Can I just confirm that Ropes & Gray do not sponsor candidates to study the SQE but rather prefer their candidates to have already completed the SQE. If that is the case, then the business decision makes complete sense - and I would expect that any LPC graduates who have then gone on to do the full SQE can still apply.

However, if it were still a case of your firm sponsoring candidates to go on to study the SQE, I still don’t see the difference in sponsoring LPC graduates and regular graduates alike - because people with an LPC can still do the full SQE route if required. To my knowledge, there is no hard rule that says LPC graduates have to be exempt from the SQE1 (do let me know if I am mistaken - but I understood this to be a choice). If so, then this would not contribute to an issue for resourcing as there would be no need for two separate routes to qualification. All candidates would progress through the single SQE route.

Please confirm and thank you once again for your response.

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi @Ropes&GrayMaya! Nice to meet you and thank you for offering this forum to ask questions.

For the commercial question, should we discuss the most pressing commercial developments at the moment, or could we, generally, talk about any three important commercial topics that interest us as long as they relate to R&G's practice areas? I'm keen to avoid mention of really obvious topics (e.g. AI, ESG) but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel and veer too far away from the question.

Related to the above, are the most compelling answers the ones that are unique or ones that grasp the essentials?

Also, final question: I know the application is blind, so should we avoid quoting R&G associates/partners/counsel who have analysed a particular topic, and its importance to the firm, at an in-person event?

Many thanks in advance.
    I think commercial developments that are pressing at the moment will make your answer more interesting to read. We receive many applications so making your answer bespoke and choosing a topic that is not as obvious is the best way to grab the screener’s attention.

I think both. The question asks for three issues that are impacting the legal market, so this provides you with the opportunity to write on various issues that are both commercially pressing and interesting, as well as grasping other essential elements, such as research on our clients and what makes Ropes & Gray unique/different/or what we could do better.

I would advise that quoting R&G associates or partners is a good thing. I believe this shows you have done your research on Ropes & Gray. A blind process is when we redact details of the applicant.

Reactions: NJS and Jaysen

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi Maya,

Thanks for the response.

Can I just confirm that Ropes & Gray do not sponsor candidates to study the SQE but rather prefer their candidates to have already completed the SQE. If that is the case, then the business decision makes complete sense - and I would expect that any LPC graduates who have then gone on to do the full SQE can still apply.

However, if it were still a case of your firm sponsoring candidates to go on to study the SQE, I still don’t see the difference in sponsoring LPC graduates and regular graduates alike - because people with an LPC can still do the full SQE route if required. To my knowledge, there is no hard rule that says LPC graduates have to be exempt from the SQE1 (do let me know if I am mistaken - but I understood this to be a choice). If so, then this would not contribute to an issue for resourcing as there would be no need for two separate routes to qualification. All candidates would progress through the single SQE route.

Please confirm and thank you once again for your response.
    Ropes & Gray sponsors students to do the SQE examinations. However, individuals looking for SQE sponsorship will be an LPC student/graduate at the point of applying. Furthermore, we do not expect students to have to do the LPC and the SQE 1 and 2 when there are other routes available to them. As previously explained, as we only recruit 12 trainees a year, for a variety of reasons, we made the business decision to recruit trainees who have exclusively completed the SQE route. Good luck with your job search.

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi Maya,

I don't ask this question for my benefit (I have just graduated but I am taking a gap year), but for the benefit of those with LPCs who are in the middle of their application cycle. From your post (and please correct me if I am wrong) I understand that Ropes & Gray is not the only law firm to not accept LPC students but only those who have studied the SQE per "like many other firms...". Could you clarify what other law firms in the market do not allow LPC students to apply to them, even if they intend to do the SQE? Again, not for my benefit, but for the benefit of those that might be looking at firms and are (rightfully) concerned about this trend.

Thank you so much for taking time to answer these questions!
    It is our understanding from our network, that there are other firms that are transitioning straight to the SQE route, however, you will need to speak to individual firms to understand their respective policies.

Reactions: NW Law

Mrcerec

Standard Member
    Dec 8, 2023
    Hi Maya

Hi

My son is turning 27, has a masters in Politics from LSE, works in a top firm in comms for the last 3 years.

Wants to swap to corporate Law. In the last year has got to the final round of Freshfields and Weil. Got vacation schemes with Vinson & Elkins and Eversheds. Unfortunately not offered a TC with any.

What should he do next? Keep applying? Do the SQE independently?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Ropes & Gray sponsors students to do the SQE examinations. However, individuals looking for SQE sponsorship will be an LPC student/graduate at the point of applying. Furthermore, we do not expect students to have to do the LPC and the SQE 1 and 2 when there are other routes available to them. As previously explained, as we only recruit 12 trainees a year, for a variety of reasons, we made the business decision to recruit trainees who have exclusively completed the SQE route. Good luck with your job search.
    Thank you for your response.

In the absence of any clarity, I am going to assume that this “business decision” has purely been made on the premise of reducing the amount of applications that come in, as I can’t see any difference in resource allocated to sorting out qualification.

On that note, I would say that I think the firm has made a huge mistake and should instead look to firms such as DLA Piper, who don’t impose a deadline but simply close the deadline when enough applications have been received.

As for your message on “other firms” again it lacks a lot of clarity. I appreciate you may not be able to name the firms, but I think it’s important to back up such statements - especially when stating such things may cause a little panic amongst the applicants. If this is not possible, I would quite simply refrain from stating them at all.

As I’m sure you would understand, these opportunities are things all applicants have worked hard for - opportunities that they often doubt they can get - I fear it’ll just push more people closer to the edge of quitting their dreams if they start to worry people in their position will no longer be considered.

Bottom line, I think for now - all that needs to be said is that the only firm we are aware of that will not consider LPC students/graduates is Ropes & Gray. As for other firms, we would suggest one does their own research.

Thank you for your well wishes, and good luck with the recruitment year.

Last edited:

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2018

With all due respect, I don't believe that is factually correct. If LPC graduates are asked to do the entire SQE programme and forfeit any exemptions, your firm would not need to run two separate qualification programmes. It's regrettable that your firm is penalising individuals who self-funded a qualification that was perfectly acceptable a few years ago.

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi Maya

Hi

My son is turning 27, has a masters in Politics from LSE, works in a top firm in comms for the last 3 years.

Wants to swap to corporate Law. In the last year has got to the final round of Freshfields and Weil. Got vacation schemes with Vinson & Elkins and Eversheds. Unfortunately not offered a TC with any.

What should he do next? Keep applying? Do the SQE independently?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA
    Hello. It is great that your son has reached the final stage at several firms, as it means that he is being strongly considered. He should learn from each process and request feedback from the firm to understand what he can do better.

I do recommend he keep applying and not to give up. There are many students in his situation. I know that it can be a tiresome process, but learning from previous processes and having a clear application strategy will be helpful.

Doing the SQE independently is an option, but he will still have to obtain two years qualifying work experience. That said, I expect him not reaching the TC offer stage, is separate to pursuing the SQE. He just has to work on overcoming whatever the feedback is that means he’s not crossing the finish line. I hope this helps.

icl

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 21, 2022
    Hello! Absolutely. Ropes & Gray sponsors international candidates who we offer a training contract to. Yes. we also recruit at the associate/NQ level. This will be via our lateral recruitment team. Positions we are recruiting for are on our website.
    Hi Maya, as the firm solely recruits through the vacation scheme, would the firm sponsor visas for international candidates to do the vacation scheme as well? Further, would there be an option for virtual assessment centres for those not based in the UK? Thank you!

Ropes&GrayMaya

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2023

Hi Maya, as the firm solely recruits through the vacation scheme, would the firm sponsor visas for international candidates to do the vacation scheme as well? Further, would there be an option for virtual assessment centres for those not based in the UK? Thank you!

Hello. The firm offers international students sponsorship for those we offer a training contract. However, we do not offer students attending our vacation scheme visa's.

We do not offer virtual assessment centres. We only offer assessment centres in-person and in our offices. We cover travel expenses for our assessment centres up to £100.

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 26, 2023
    Hello. The firm offers international students sponsorship for those we offer a training contract. However, we do not offer students attending our vacation scheme visa's.

We do not offer virtual assessment centres. We only offer assessment centres in-person and in our offices. We cover travel expenses for our assessment centres up to £100.
    Hi Maya! What first year grades do you reckon make a good candidate for the Ropes & Gray vac scheme? I scored a low 2.1 from Oxbridge and was interested in applying to Ropes & Gray after having met them at a law fair!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.