TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

e1996

Star Member
Dec 16, 2021
Anyone know if Bakers require you to complete the PGDL? Their Legal Cheek profile states they no longer fund it and only fund a foundation course with BARBRI. So as a non-law student, would I just do the BARBRI + SQE1+2?
PGDL not required, just SQE at BARBRI I believe (this is what my friend who has a TC with BM is doing)

illegallyblonde

Jan 16, 2024
Others might have different opinions but here's mine: I think you should think about the stress that it's causing you - while it's great to have two offers for a vacation scheme, it is not worth being anxious or stressed over - especially if you will still have to pick one.

During the last cycle, I secured a vac scheme at a US firm but then later progressed to the AC stage of another US firm, I felt really stressed about prepping for this AC because even if I got it I couldn't do both. I decided to go ahead anyway but still couldn't just couldn't shake the nerves. I ended up not doing very well in the interview or presentation. and was rejected post-AC.

I felt a little annoyed with myself - not because I was rejected - but because I had so much uni work to catch up on and had let myself get stressed for honestly no good reason.
Thank you for your reply. It has made me feel better knowing that someone else has felt the same as me. I think it definitely adds to the anxiety when you are working hard for something that won't help that much despite adding 'more experience' with ACs.

If it was possible to do both vac schemes (if I passed this AC) I would cope with the stress as they are both good firms, but I do think I will regret missing any more uni work. And if I was to perform badly I fear it would dishearten me a little more.

Thanks again for your advice, very helpful :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.