TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

kcr

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2022
Hi all,

As we approach the end of the VS application season, I thought I would share my progress to remind people that while it is a highly competitive process, do not give up as you only need one! Last season I applied to ~10 firms, attended 2 ACs and was rejected by both.

Some key lessons from this season:
  • Do not be afraid of applying to new firms. All my ACs, and most of my VIs, were with firms that I had not applied to in previous seasons.
  • Attend open days! I paid little attention to these last season, but my most successful applications this season have been with firms where I attended an open day or another event. It's much easier to relate 'why this firm' with your experiences this way.
  • Focus on just a few firms. Most of my rejections were with firms that were not my top priority, but I applied to anyway 'just in case'. I think you should devote 90% of your application time to a few firms that truly interest you, but use 10% of your time applying to other firms as numerous external, uncontrollable factors will influence whether you are successful or not. I received a few VIs and an AC at firms I applied to 'just in case'.
sankeymatic_20240221_140709_1200x1200.png

Is there any general view on how grad rec weight their decisions on AC's? I performed really well in the interview but pretty average in the written task, not bad but certainly not my best work. I wonder if generally the interview aspect is weighted heavier or if anyone has any insights about still getting a VS offer after a pretty mediocre written exercise! Any info would be great, thanks.

legalgirlie

Standard Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2023
Hey all, I have my very first AC coming up and not sure what to expect in terms of how the day is organized, since it's only 2 assessments but the AC is over 5 hours long. Are there other stuff you do during an AC? Pls excuse my very elementary question lol, would love any insight on the structure of the day in general!
Also the AC I'm doing is virtual b/c I'm based outside the UK, if that changes things.

@axelbeugre would love to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: axelbeugre

starbright

Star Member
Dec 18, 2021
Hey all, I have my very first AC coming up and not sure what to expect in terms of how the day is organized, since it's only 2 assessments but the AC is over 5 hours long. Are there other stuff you do during an AC? Pls excuse my very elementary question lol, would love any insight on the structure of the day in general!
Also the AC I'm doing is virtual b/c I'm based outside the UK, if that changes things.

@axelbeugre would love to hear your thoughts!
There might be breaks scheduled, and a trainee Q&A.

Reactions: legalgirlie

AnonKn635

Star Member
Dec 15, 2023
Is there any general view on how grad rec weight their decisions on AC's? I performed really well in the interview but pretty average in the written task, not bad but certainly not my best work. I wonder if generally the interview aspect is weighted heavier or if anyone has any insights about still getting a VS offer after a pretty mediocre written exercise! Any info would be great, thanks.
this about latham?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.