TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

anonymouscatboy

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2024
Haha sure, what price makes it reasonable?

how far are you willing to go?
Dog Dancing GIF

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey, guys I just have one question, I did apply to Baker McKenzie for Summer VC and received PFO. My question is can I apply for this firm's direct training contract application even if I have been rejected for their summer vc?
I personally would not apply unless many changes in your cv have occurred from the time you applied until now (maybe you have done some vacation schemes in the meantime or received important awards or undertaken an impressive project.

Chances are that if you apply with a similar application you might be rejected again since the direct training contract process is even more difficult than the vacation scheme one.

Reactions: haydararikci

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Same!!! Got the call a few minutes ago for the summer vac scheme, did they mention anything about only doing their scheme by any chance? I want to email grad rec to clarify because I saw something on this thread about that but idk if they've changed their policy.
Congratulations!! This will only be relevant if you get the training contract not the vacation scheme offer! If you do the summer scheme, you are most likely going to be able to do other schemes before receive the outcome of the vacation scheme as they take a while to communicate those, usually 2/3 weeks.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! The recruiter reached out to me after I submitted my work experience programme application and has asked for my most updated CV and suggested a phone call. I haven't been provided any other details so I will prepare for it as I would for a phone interview. I wanted to get your opinion on something else too -- the email subject line refers to the programme next month but the application I made was for a programme either in March or September. How can I best request for the September programme? I have classes and teachings in March so can't really go abroad for the w experience. Thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know the best way to go about asking a firm to switch scheme dates? I have accepted a place on a VS already, and took the earlier of the two options regarding dates. I have now been offered another scheme which clashes with those dates, and the only way that I could do both VSs is by asking the firm I have already accepted a VS with to switch me to a later scheme (which they do run).

Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Is an email or call to grad rec more suitable, and should I tell them that my reason for wishing to switch dates is so that I can attend another firm's VS?
Also, are firms usually accommodating in situations like this?

Many thanks in advance.
I would try to call in the first instance as a conversation will be far better and quicker than email - tone in what you say and being able to adapt to what is said is possible in a conversation, and you'll more likely get a more immediate outcome than if you rely on email (which you'll never know when it has been read).

However, sometimes calling firms can be tricky, so go to email if you can't speak to them on the phone.

But ultimately saying what you just have is really all that is needed for the basis of the conversation. You can emphasise your motivations for the firm and explain you don't want to compromise any opportunity, but if there is any flexibility to change dates you would be appreciative of the opportunity to move.

Be prepared for the firm to say no though - they don't have to move you and may just make you choose between the two firms.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do firms tend to give out more offers than the number of interns they accept and by what percentage?
Yes - generally there will be more offers as some candidates will decline the offer.

How much the offer will be determined by the decline of offer rate which could be 0% but could be a very high percentage (have seen figures over 50% for small intakes!).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.