Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker :)

When firms stated that they have a CV blind recruitment process, during the interview at an AC, what information will interviewers not have access to?

Thank you so much :)

Should just be your name. However, there is a range of information that could be provided and will depend on the firm in question:

Some firms will explain your degree subject, just to help know whether you are law or non-law.

some firms will provide your motivational answers (eg nothing that should detail your experiences, just your motivations).

but a true CV blind process would be just your name.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Do you have any advice on how to structure a CV when it is requested as part of the application process? E.g. should it be in paragraphs using a shorted versioned of the STAR method or should you simply outline your main responsibilities and any highlights in a bullet point format?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Do you have any advice on how to structure a CV when it is requested as part of the application process? E.g. should it be in paragraphs using a shorted versioned of the STAR method or should you simply outline your main responsibilities and any highlights in a bullet point format?

Thank you.

no - I’d take a traditional CV approach. STAR method is on really appropriate for interview questions - I’d generally advise against using it in an application in any sense.

SS

Dec 24, 2019
Hi Jessica, do you have any tips on how to talk about your interest in exploring commercial law when you haven't had concrete commercial law experience such as vac schemes in city law firms? I understand it's down to personal motivations but will I be at a significant disadvantage because of this? If so, how can I try and mitigate this? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay great thanks. Following the traditional CV approach, would you suggest that listing responsibilities/highlights in bullet points or in a paragraph format?

I always suggest bullet points. I rarely see paragraphs working on a CV. You don’t write a CV in prose.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, do you have any tips on how to talk about your interest in exploring commercial law when you haven't had concrete commercial law experience such as vac schemes in city law firms? I understand it's down to personal motivations but will I be at a significant disadvantage because of this? If so, how can I try and mitigate this? Thank you.

No - you are not necessarily as a disadvantage. A lot of people who have done commercial work experience can’t articulate their motivations/interest, and saying I like commercial law because I have experienced it isn’t sufficient.

where do your motivations come from?

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

For this question: Interest/Hobbies you have outside of university/work (250),

could I write about a sport i have done since I was very young (8 years old) and how that developed into a current passion for other sports? Or should I just focus on the present sports I play?

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

For this question: Interest/Hobbies you have outside of university/work (250),

could I write about a sport i have done since I was very young (8 years old) and how that developed into a current passion for other sports? Or should I just focus on the present sports I play?

If it is outside of uni and work, then fine to explain it - doesn’t matter how long it dates back.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!
    Would like to hear your advice on this question:
    Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)

What events could properly be considered as demonstrating my commitment to increasing understanding about the career? Could a leadership position, where I organised business events, count as one since it built my commercial awareness? Or does it literally mean organising legal events that showcased my commitment to learn about City legal practice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!
    Would like to hear your advice on this question:
    Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)

What events could properly be considered as demonstrating my commitment to increasing understanding about the career? Could a leadership position, where I organised business events, count as one since it built my commercial awareness? Or does it literally mean organising legal events that showcased my commitment to learn about City legal practice?

it can be any event - as long as it’s helped you understand the work/career as a solicitor. If you can explain how any event has helped that, it doesn’t matter whether it’s law related or not. It’s for you to explain how it has refined your career knowledge/motivations.

Dos

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2019
    Should just be your name. However, there is a range of information that could be provided and will depend on the firm in question:

Some firms will explain your degree subject, just to help know whether you are law or non-law.

some firms will provide your motivational answers (eg nothing that should detail your experiences, just your motivations).

but a true CV blind process would be just your name.

Hi Jessica,

How would you advice candidates to answer the "Tell me about yourself" question.

Thanks!

nina_123

Distinguished Member
    Jul 15, 2019

For this question from Bakers:

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*

Do I need to mention how the things I learned at these events would benefit me at Bakers? Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

For this question from Bakers:

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*

Do I need to mention how the things I learned at these events would benefit me at Bakers? Thank you :)

no need to link it to Bakers, just how it’s helped you form more knowledge of or an opinion of what you think of a career as a solicitor

• 🏆
    Reactions: nina_123

SS

Dec 24, 2019
    No - you are not necessarily as a disadvantage. A lot of people who have done commercial work experience can’t articulate their motivations/interest, and saying I like commercial law because I have experienced it isn’t sufficient.

where do your motivations come from?

Thank you for your reply! I want to see what it's like to practice commercial law mainly because it's applicable to everything and everyone regardless of what they do. It's an excellent base to start practice in, and I'm going for mid-sized firms that mix commercial and private client practices so I can get an insight into both 'parts', so to speak. I'm worried that my answer will sound too speculative, though, and that my applicable skills won't be enough! Thank you for

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your reply! I want to see what it's like to practice commercial law mainly because it's applicable to everything and everyone regardless of what they do. It's an excellent base to start practice in, and I'm going for mid-sized firms that mix commercial and private client practices so I can get an insight into both 'parts', so to speak. I'm worried that my answer will sound too speculative, though, and that my applicable skills won't be enough! Thank you for

It’s not necessarily speculative (although I don’t necessarily agree with all of what you have said), but it is just a little too cliched. What does this actually mean for you and your enjoyment of the job? You’re not talking about anything regarding the responsibilities you would have.

The same could be said of consultants, people work in investment firms/asset managers. You need to dig under the surface more, especially if you are looking at a mix of private client and commercial work.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica

How much weight do A-levels hold when assessing postgraduate students?

I obtained ABBB in my A-levels in 2014, with the A being in Welsh Baccalaureate. My understanding is this was considered a complete A-level at the time, meaning I should suffice the requirements of most law firms (in UCAS points equivalent). However, I’m not sure if this is still true, and if A-levels still matter to my application, should I be contacting law firms to make sure I meet their minimum requirements?

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.