Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Hi! I submitted my Hogan Lovells application on 10th Dec and did the WG on the 13th. I have yet to hear back but have heard that they are holding ACs on the 7th. Does this mean a rejection? Should I email grad rec for an update? Is anyone in the same position?

Have you heard yet? I did WG on 27th. Just sent an email to chase them up and ask for results.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    This is my exact question. I submitted my application yesterday around 3:00 PM, and received a WG invite today at 11:23 AM. If it were automatic, without a person reviewing your application, then the invite should have come earlier than that. But it is also surprising if they were able to review my application so quickly.

According to their website:

The process for all insight events, campus ambassadors, vacation schemes and training contracts is similar. Do well at each stage we’ll invite you to the next.

1. Online application form

2. Online critical thinking test

3. An assessment day (unless you’re applying for an insight day) that includes another critical thinking test plus face-to-face interviews

So it is possible that you must be reviewed and "invited" to the next stage. I am most likely reading too much into it.
    That's really interesting because they told me I got rejected off the back of my application yet I passed their WG test... :confused:

arcnor

Nov 6, 2019
    Just an FYI for anyone who was interested in Bird&Bird

I applied very early and went through all the stages and after the VI it went silent despite seeing other people getting accepted/rejected I received nothing.

Only now have I received an email saying:

"Due to the high competition for places this year, and the fact that we recruit on a rolling basis, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a place on one of our assessment centres. However, we were very impressed with your application, online test result, and video interview.

As you performed very well, we would like to keep your application on file to be reviewed in the next recruitment cycle. You will not need to complete another application form, Watson Glaser test, or video interview to be considered for the 2021 Vacation Scheme."

h2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 26, 2019
    Just received a rejection from Simmons after completing the verbal and logical tests. I thought I was completing the practice test for the logical test as it said practice in RED but turns out it was the real test. I informed Simmons of this but I don't think it matters. Oh well, onto the next one.

mlaw1234

Jul 19, 2019
    Just an FYI for anyone who was interested in Bird&Bird

I applied very early and went through all the stages and after the VI it went silent despite seeing other people getting accepted/rejected I received nothing.

Only now have I received an email saying:

"Due to the high competition for places this year, and the fact that we recruit on a rolling basis, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a place on one of our assessment centres. However, we were very impressed with your application, online test result, and video interview.

As you performed very well, we would like to keep your application on file to be reviewed in the next recruitment cycle. You will not need to complete another application form, Watson Glaser test, or video interview to be considered for the 2021 Vacation Scheme."
    Same email!

Reactions: NickyRaykes

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Very odd! How do you know you passed the WG? What score did you get?
    Yeah, I don't think their website is accurate.
    Sorry to hear about the rejection. Was it this cycle? What for?
    I asked them for my result and I believe I got something between 30-32/40? Can't exactly remember and it was for a summer VS for this cycle :)

Y

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 26, 2019
    Was it for the direct TC? They dont recruit on a rolling basis for the TC. Today is the official deadline, so I would assume any communication will happen from tomorrow onwards.
    I didn’t think Freshfields sent out WG before the deadline, what was this for?

This is for the Summer Vacation Scheme
    I sent my application in at the end of October and received a WG end of November but haven't heard back since
    - my friend received an invite to their assessment centre this morning
    worth noting that another one of my friends applied at the same time as me and still hasn't been sent a WG

• 🤝
    Reactions: BE123 and Lawyerwithadream

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Got Dentons vac scheme interview! (first round) any help or advice would be appreciated!! (did WG on Friday and got invite today)

Congrats. I interviewed with them (for Middle East) last cycle. It's a very standard interview. Competency based. They will ask a bit about the firm.

They have some material online to review.

Reactions: Ar2016

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys! Just caught up on the threads and there’s been so much going on today! Really happy to see some AC invites- amazing work and congratulations to you all! However, for those without good news from today, the resilience and strength you are building will be preparing you so well for a TC.
    In terms of what I think about a few discussions:

HL I think send the WG to all candidates. I cannot be 100% but from what I have gauged I believe that they look at the app and WG in tandem. No one knows what a WG pass is for them and I actually didn’t get a raw mark in my report, just the percentile.

with Freshfields, they only send the WG to applicants they think have made a solid application. But I’m not sure about the policy regards inviting before the deadline. Think they said non rolling but it’s possible they may have tried to get ahead of the influx they’ll receive today by inviting some candidates? Honestly not too sure on that.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hey guys! Just caught up on the threads and there’s been so much going on today! Really happy to see some AC invites- amazing work and congratulations to you all! However, for those without good news from today, the resilience and strength you are building will be preparing you so well for a TC.
    In terms of what I think about a few discussions:

HL I think send the WG to all candidates. I cannot be 100% but from what I have gauged I believe that they look at the app and WG in tandem. No one knows what a WG pass is for them and I actually didn’t get a raw mark in my report, just the percentile.

with Freshfields, they only send the WG to applicants they think have made a solid application. But I’m not sure about the policy regards inviting before the deadline. Think they said non rolling but it’s possible they may have tried to get ahead of the influx they’ll receive today by inviting some candidates? Honestly not too sure on that.

I think you’re right about HL and their WG policy. Most people pass the WG, but fail when the application gets reviewed (like with CC).

Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.