Weil, Gotshal & Manges

Hanna Tesfazghi

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2019
Hi All,

Hope all is well and you enjoyed your Christmas break.

I have recently found out I have progressed to the Weil Gotshal & Manges video interview stage and was wondering if you could offer any advice on the video interview and how best to prepare for it. The invitation email stated it was a way to get to me better as a candidate; so should I be focusing my preparation on my achievements and how my experience would make me a good fit for the firm. Or should I be focusing on private equity and deals the firm has recently worked on?

Many Thanks,

Hanna

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Hanna,

In terms of the questions I had last year they were the following:

Why are you interested in a career in commercial law?
    Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Weil (or words to that effect)?
    Tell me about a commercial/business story that interests you.
    A competency question. Mine was 'What is your greatest achievement?'

Believe you have around 1 minute to answer and around 30-45 seconds to prepare but I can't really remember.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Dan

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: W, Rachel S, Long Dinh and 3 others

Hanna Tesfazghi

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2019
    Hi Hanna,

In terms of the questions I had last year they were the following:

Why are you interested in a career in commercial law?
    Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Weil (or words to that effect)?
    Tell me about a commercial/business story that interests you.
    A competency question. Mine was 'What is your greatest achievement?'

Believe you have around 1 minute to answer and around 30-45 seconds to prepare but I can't really remember.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Dan
    Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for responding! I’ve noticed that the questions you listed were the same ones asked in the spring vacation scheme application and was wondering whether this was the same for you and you were expected to expand on your previous answers or whether the questions have just changed?

Thanks again,

Hanna

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for responding! I’ve noticed that the questions you listed were the same ones asked in the spring vacation scheme application and was wondering whether this was the same for you and you were expected to expand on your previous answers or whether the questions have just changed?

Thanks again,

Hanna
    I think you're perhaps expected to give shorter spoken answers as a minute isn't actually very long so the key is picking out the relevant points from your longer application answers and delivering those in a clear and concise manner in the video interview :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Long Dinh

Hanna Tesfazghi

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2019
    Hi all, does anyone have any insight on how the WG test is like for weil?
    The email with the link to the WG test also has a practice test that gives you a breakdown of each section and how we’ll you did in them. In terms of difficulty both tests were quite similar so that should give you an idea of what the WG is like.

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
    Aug 13, 2018
    Thanks Daniel, has another done the Weil video interview this intake, are the questions the same. Also is it ok to use the same Commercial awareness topic from your application for the video interview?

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Thanks Daniel, has another done the Weil video interview this intake, are the questions the same. Also is it ok to use the same Commercial awareness topic from your application for the video interview?
    My questions for this cycle were as follows:

Why law/ what would make me a good lawyer?

Why Weil/ what specific practice area am I interested in?

And I think talking about the same commercial awareness topic as your application would be fine. Both of my answers for the questions above were very similar to what I wrote in my application and I was successful in getting an AC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.