Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
This probably isn't helpful but for me, I submitted the application at 11pm, was invited to WGT at 11am the next day and then I heard a rejection two months later :eek:. Almost forgot I even applied by the time they got back to me! I know someone who heard back two months later too (this cycle) and received an AC invite so all is not lost if you wait too long!

WHAT NO WAY! but was this for the direct training contract then, or summer vacation scheme?

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Genuine curiosity, but I have to ask...

For those who will be moving to London for the first time, to what extent do you guys consider potential future friendship group when looking at firms? Deep down are you slightly put off by a firm with an intake of <10 because you want to maximise your chances of actually having friends in London should you secure a TC?

I know this may sound immature but I can’t help but think about it.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019

For those who will be moving to London for the first time, to what extent do you guys consider potential future friendship group when looking at firms? Deep down are you slightly put off by a firm with an intake of <10 because you want to maximise your chances of actually having friends in London should you secure a TC?

This is why I am reluctant applying to US firms.
Good question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

you’ll have friends outside of your firm and probably at other firms that you will see just as much (and sometimes even more so).

mix in friends from uni or friends of friends who’ll be in London and you’ll have plenty of people you know.

you’ll probably want to get away from “work friends” just to get away from work.

And even if you don’t, your work friends will be much wider than you cohort of trainees (year above trainees, year below, qualified lawyers, other staff).

w2719a

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019

Not immature. I definitely consider the people I will be surrounded by. I was offered fast track to interview for a vac scheme after a first year scheme but did not take the firm up on it. When I was there, I found the vibe very tense and competitive. When I was in my seats the associate made me feel like a complete inconvenience (even although I know I ultimately was). TBH the people are one of the main things separating firms from one another.

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
Not immature. I definitely consider the people I will be surrounded by. I was offered fast track to interview for a vac scheme after a first year scheme but did not take the firm up on it. When I was there, I found the vibe very tense and competitive. When I was in my seats the associate made me feel like a complete inconvenience (even although I know I ultimately was). TBH the people are one of the main things separating firms from one another.

Would love to know what firm this was if you feel comfortable saying?

Reactions: Biena
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.