Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standard Member
May 17, 2019
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of being successful at App and going to AC but being rejected at AC and applying again to that same firm?

would be keen to hear your experiences. Kinda stuck on whether to apply to some of the firms that rejected me

thanks!

I have a TC at a MC firm that rejected me at the VS stage post AC last cycle. The same with one of my friends, at another MC firm. Just check the firm policies and don't be dissuaded. Also get feedback from your AC because if you were close / it's something that you can easily change, it's definitely worth a re-application.

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
Just gonna say this quick- I got my A&O rejection today and feeling honestly gutted. Only FF left this cycle and I did the WG on a very ‘low’ day and so worried I probably haven’t met the benchmark. Not too sure what went wrong with A&O and feedback could take time so closure isn’t an imminent possibility. I will be ok but just feeling really sad that I come so close to then fall at the final hurdle every time. Genuinely don’t feel like I can take many more of these setbacks so gonna really assess my situation these next few days. That wasn’t actually as quick as I expected but thanks for your continued support everyone. I just hope one day I might have good news for you guys too :) I don’t mean this to sound hypocritical as I always tell you guys it’s when not if, and I wholeheartedly believe that. But it’s important to weigh up the damage being caused in the process of all this and I’m just needing to take time to reflect. I really do believe good things come to those who wait and deserve it so I hope my headspace will be better as this week goes on.

In the same position – got my A&O rejection post AC yesterday and I had pinned a lot of my hopes on it because nothing else was working out. I wish they were quicker with feedback because I feel like genuinely could not have prepped more for it. Something will definitely work out in the future though so keep your head high!

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Did anyone get an application update from this email address? :

[email protected]

They didn't specify which firm it was for, so I have no idea which firm they're representing. Presumably Sidley Austin or Goodwin?

omg same I got one. I think it could be Goodwin though, cuz for Sidley they emailed me 2 days ago saying Iv been invited for an AC.

SYNOKA

Jan 14, 2020
I think blind CV just means they don't see your name, grades and uni. Not necessarily your cover letter and the answer to the questions.

From what I've been hearing, I don't think they have a copy of the application in front of them - so its up to us to bring up legal work experience, for example, and interweave this into our answers :)

Reactions: Jen E C

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I think blind CV just means they don't see your name, grades and uni. Not necessarily your cover letter and the answer to the questions.

I second this! I've done CV blind interviews and they definitely still had my whole app with my work experience etc. in front of them

Reactions: Jen E C

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Just gonna say this quick- I got my A&O rejection today and feeling honestly gutted. Only FF left this cycle and I did the WG on a very ‘low’ day and so worried I probably haven’t met the benchmark. Not too sure what went wrong with A&O and feedback could take time so closure isn’t an imminent possibility. I will be ok but just feeling really sad that I come so close to then fall at the final hurdle every time. Genuinely don’t feel like I can take many more of these setbacks so gonna really assess my situation these next few days. That wasn’t actually as quick as I expected but thanks for your continued support everyone. I just hope one day I might have good news for you guys too :) I don’t mean this to sound hypocritical as I always tell you guys it’s when not if, and I wholeheartedly believe that. But it’s important to weigh up the damage being caused in the process of all this and I’m just needing to take time to reflect. I really do believe good things come to those who wait and deserve it so I hope my headspace will be better as this week goes on.

Hi Alice, I completely understand why this is devastating and how you may feel "not good enough". However, I think you should reflect upon your accomplishments. You conquered every step of the way until the AC for a firm that could arguably be #1 in the entire world! That is so huge!! You were clearly one of the most exceptional candidates to get that far in the first place, so be proud of that! Every step is a lesson learned, and from the feedback you receive you will grow into a better version of yourself to put forth and a firm will accept you. Everything happens for a reason even if that reason is unknown to you right now. Keep your head up and think positive thoughts! We all know you got this. Hope you're doing okay this week :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.