General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I think the main thing is not to assume anything. I almost did what you did! I calculated with the original price first but I knew the contract specifically said the fair price so I told myself if I just say the fair price without going too much into detail when writing the email and leave the calculation table blank, I’d get some of it right. Whereas, if i calculated with original price I knew it’d 100% be contractually wrong so I’d get no points. I kind of took a risk by leaving some boxes blank but I thought this was better than giving them an answer even I already knew was wrong.

Hi, did you leave the calculations incomplete / blank?

ShelleyEds

Sep 19, 2019
I was just hoping for some advice on the best way to start cover letters. A number of firms tell you the name and job title of the person you should address it to; should you use both their name and their job title at the start of your cover letter? I had assumed that you just used their name and the job title information was just so you understood the role of the person you were addressing it to but now I’m wondering if actually you should be setting the cover letter up as if you were sending it separately, with my own name, address and date as well as name, job title and address of firm I’m applying to? Or maybe somewhere in-between the two? Any guidance appreciated!
Can you advise, Jessica Booker?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was just hoping for some advice on the best way to start cover letters. A number of firms tell you the name and job title of the person you should address it to; should you use both their name and their job title at the start of your cover letter? I had assumed that you just used their name and the job title information was just so you understood the role of the person you were addressing it to but now I’m wondering if actually you should be setting the cover letter up as if you were sending it separately, with my own name, address and date as well as name, job title and address of firm I’m applying to? Or maybe somewhere in-between the two? Any guidance appreciated!
Can you advise, Jessica Booker?

no need for job titles

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Hey everyone, I recently had the chance to chat informally with a Head of Grad Rec and Partner in charge of recruitment at a firm that is setting up a training contract program for the first time next year. They have both previously worked at multiple top American firms and a silver circle firm, so I figured their insights might be relevant as they relate to questions I've seen on here:

1. If you already have a TC secured, do not bother paralegaling unless you want to do it for financial reasons. They said paralegal experience will not make you perform better as a trainee or impress new bosses. I asked with regards to the summers in between the GDL & LPC and between the LPC & start of a TC, and they told me it would not help me in any way if I already had a TC at that point (though I definitely could do it to make some money).

2. Unless you have very specific reasons to, do not self-fund the LPC. Unfortunately it makes recruiters doubt your application for two reasons: firstly, why did no other firm want this person to the point where they are self-funding - "what's wrong with them?" They are essentially searching for your flaws rather than your strengths. Secondly, it makes them doubt your commitment to the firm you are applying to- "they would probably take any firm at this point". The difference with the GDL is that it is broader and can be used as a springboard for different careers, whereas the LPC could only be useful for a solicitor.

I'm sure none of this is definitive and lots of people will be exceptions to this! But for those that are considering either of these things, I thought it might be helpful to share:):)

I think that this is very very subjective.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
Hey everyone, I recently had the chance to chat informally with a Head of Grad Rec and Partner in charge of recruitment at a firm that is setting up a training contract program for the first time next year. They have both previously worked at multiple top American firms and a silver circle firm, so I figured their insights might be relevant as they relate to questions I've seen on here:

1. If you already have a TC secured, do not bother paralegaling unless you want to do it for financial reasons. They said paralegal experience will not make you perform better as a trainee or impress new bosses. I asked with regards to the summers in between the GDL & LPC and between the LPC & start of a TC, and they told me it would not help me in any way if I already had a TC at that point (though I definitely could do it to make some money).

2. Unless you have very specific reasons to, do not self-fund the LPC. Unfortunately it makes recruiters doubt your application for two reasons: firstly, why did no other firm want this person to the point where they are self-funding - "what's wrong with them?" They are essentially searching for your flaws rather than your strengths. Secondly, it makes them doubt your commitment to the firm you are applying to- "they would probably take any firm at this point". The difference with the GDL is that it is broader and can be used as a springboard for different careers, whereas the LPC could only be useful for a solicitor.

I'm sure none of this is definitive and lots of people will be exceptions to this! But for those that are considering either of these things, I thought it might be helpful to share:):)

Haha, well the part 2 of the second point kinda applies before/after the TC offer when you're in serious need of a job! But I strongly disagree with their first point because being a paralegal or whatever would make things run faster when you get into the office as a trainee since you know how to get your heard around.

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
I have a FF AC end of march - completed telephone interview early feb and originally invited to AC on the 10th but by the time I clicked the link they were full for that one. No idea if they've sent out offers/next round interviews though!

they took forever to get back to me after tests to invite to phone interview though if thats helpful!

Super useful, thanks for this! I only just saw this for some reason - I'm through to the video interview stage though, yippee! Do you have any top tips for this stage? Hoping there'll still be space at the March assessment centre if it goes well!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

This is just two people’s opinions on the matter - many (if not a majority) of us wouldn't hold the same view.

I’d also be expecting individuals in these positions to be providing more advice on the SQE given the shelf life on for LPC.

anon0408

Future Trainee
Feb 22, 2020
I think that this is very very subjective.

Haha, well the part 2 of the second point kinda applies before/after the TC offer when you're in serious need of a job! But I strongly disagree with their first point because being a paralegal or whatever would make things run faster when you get into the office as a trainee since you know how to get your heard around.

This is just two people’s opinions on the matter - many (if not a majority) of us wouldn't hold the same view.

I’d also be expecting individuals in these positions to be providing more advice on the SQE given the shelf life on for LPC.

Very fair everyone. I am no expert of course, but I thought it might be interesting to share. @Jessica Booker We didn't discuss the SQE because it was not relevant to me personally, but they did say things would change with that.
Thanks for your feedback :)

• 🤝
Reactions: L.M.P, Ravenclaw and TM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.