General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
I’m preparing a news story that I’m interested in for an AC.

If one of their clients is Goldman Sachs is one of their clients, do you think their recent workplace scandal is an appropriate story ?

I have a family member who works there whose told me about their personal experience, I think I can relate it to the firm and most of all I’m interested in it. I’m trying to steer clear of the overused topics and I want to prepare something I’m interested in. Would really appreciate any insight ☺️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

If one of their clients is Goldman Sachs is one of their clients, do you think their recent workplace scandal is an appropriate story ?

I have a family member who works there whose told me about their personal experience, I think I can relate it to the firm and most of all I’m interested in it. I’m trying to steer clear of the overused topics and I want to prepare something I’m interested in. Would really appreciate any insight ☺️
You’d need to make sure you are being analytical with your thinking of this, rather than just reciting facts. You’ll need to ensure you think about this in a commercial context too - what are the implications for the business beyond it impacting employees

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Being 100% honest, I'm not sure there's enough meat on the bones of this topic to just discuss it as a standalone story. If you really want to discuss it, I would personally approach it as an example of the increasing number of occasions where law firms are making decisions about clients they will and won't represent on the grounds of ethical concerns - you would also need to look at other examples here, though. This would allow you to genuinely discuss something which has an impact on law firms as a general issue and is also increasingly relevant, but not widely discussed at interview. Again, though, as a standalone story I don't think it's relevant enough or meaty enough. See my article on interviews for an example of how to work one story into a wider trend in the manner I describe. Hope this helps :)

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
    Being 100% honest, I'm not sure there's enough meat on the bones of this topic to just discuss it as a standalone story. If you really want to discuss it, I would personally approach it as an example of the increasing number of occasions where law firms are making decisions about clients they will and won't represent on the grounds of ethical concerns - you would also need to look at other examples here, though. This would allow you to genuinely discuss something which has an impact on law firms as a general issue and is also increasingly relevant, but not widely discussed at interview. Again, though, as a standalone story I don't think it's relevant enough or meaty enough. See my article on interviews for an example of how to work one story into a wider trend in the manner I describe. Hope this helps :)
    You’d need to make sure you are being analytical with your thinking of this, rather than just reciting facts. You’ll need to ensure you think about this in a commercial context too - what are the implications for the business beyond it impacting employees
    Thank you, I wasn’t sure. That helps a lot. I’m gonna think about some more topics.

CF1234

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2020
    hey guys, i'm currently completing the legal cheek vacation scheme, but missed the Green economy session yesterday (14;00-15:00) due to a uni seminar!!!

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it if someone could send me any notes they took, or jump on a call with me to discuss??

thanks so much in advance <3

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random question for those who did AS and A2 A-levels....

Is your A2 grade a combined score with your AS grade, or is it that A2 only represents your second year results?

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    Random question for those who did AS and A2 A-levels....

Is your A2 grade a combined score with your AS grade, or is it that A2 only represents your second year results?

Hi! So A-LEVELS were changed in the year 2016/7. Previously your A-Level score would be weighted against your AS score (the weightings really depend on the subject too). In my year (2017) my first year grades did not contribute to my overall grade in A2. So while I sat formal AS exams in 2016, my overall A-LEVEL grade was based on my Year 2 results.

The transition took place between 2016 to 2020, so most essay subjects switched to the new method in the earlier years and some other subjects (e.g. maths) transitioned slightly later

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi! So A-LEVELS were changed in the year 2016/7. Previously your A-Level score would be weighted against your AS score (the weightings really depend on the subject too). In my year (2017) my first year grades did not contribute to my overall grade in A2. So while I sat formal AS exams in 2016, my overall A-LEVEL grade was based on my Year 2 results.

The transition took place between 2016 to 2020, so most essay subjects switched to the new method in the earlier years and some other subjects (e.g. maths) transitioned slightly later
    I'm ageing myself haha - I did my A2s in 2015 so my AS levels in 2014 fully counted

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.