General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZR1998

Aug 10, 2020
What topics are best to talk about when discussing the challenges that law firms are facing in 2021? I was thinking of talking about the rise of ALSPs and legal tech but I was wondering if I should base it more around Covid and working from home etc.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What topics are best to talk about when discussing the challenges that law firms are facing in 2021? I was thinking of talking about the rise of ALSPs and legal tech but I was wondering if I should base it more around Covid and working from home etc.
    I talk about some challenges you could discuss in my Interviews article, accessible via my signature below.

Reactions: ZR1998

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Just found out I got 58 on my trusts law exam. Lol as if the process wasn’t hard enough😡😡 feeling super deflated

It sounds like this is typically lower than your usual grades. So, I can assume you usually score 60+ which means you’re averaging a 2:1 (at the very least). Firms want candidates who graduate with a 2:1 overall, so you’ll be fine! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: dosblancos7 and Law2022

ZR1998

Aug 10, 2020
    Hi! I'm preparing for an interview and I'm not sure how I would tackle this question "what do you know about the ways we engage with our clients?" I'm just slightly confused as to what exactly this question is targeting, if anyone could help that would be really appreciated! :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi! I'm preparing for an interview and I'm not sure how I would tackle this question "what do you know about the ways we engage with our clients?" I'm just slightly confused as to what exactly this question is targeting, if anyone could help that would be really appreciated! :)
    It depends a lot on the context - this is rather a vague question - but, without any other background info or context, I would take this either to mean the different circumstances under which a firm might come to advise the client (basically in different practice areas) or to include wider things such as client secondments etc as a means of providing added value for key clients.

It does strike me, though, as a question which is unlikely to be asked without the context being given, owing to its vague nature, so if you were asked it without any such context you could definitely ask for some clarification so search for a nudge in the right direction.

Reactions: ZR1998

ZR1998

Aug 10, 2020
    It depends a lot on the context - this is rather a vague question - but, without any other background info or context, I would take this either to mean the different circumstances under which a firm might come to advise the client (basically in different practice areas) or to include wider things such as client secondments etc as a means of providing added value for key clients.

It does strike me, though, as a question which is unlikely to be asked without the context being given, owing to its vague nature, so if you were asked it without any such context you could definitely ask for some clarification so search for a nudge in the right direction.
    Thank you so much!

Tan

Oct 4, 2019
    I was supposed to attend the case study interview at Mishcon on Monday but it has been postponed and I have not had any further updates yet. I wouldn't take silence as bad news, I suspect they are just really busy trying to juggle things around/come up with a new system.
    Hi, how did the case study go? I've never done one before, so would love to hear about your experience at Mishcon!

Aspiring_Lawyer98

Jan 28, 2020
    Hi! I have an upcoming TC interview where I have been asked to give a presentation on litigation funding in relation to a data privacy dispute to a panel of 3 partners, and I have 10 minutes to present. I was wondering if it would be best to use a PowerPoint deck to aid my presentation, or whether I should just present alone? I've been told that the interview will take place on Webex, but I'm yet to ask whether or not I will be able to share my screen.

I was wondering if anyone has any insights on this?

Ailsa I

Standard Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post, however I have a few first year schemes coming up (CMS, DLA and Linklaters) which all offer 'early assessment' for vacation schemes. I was just wondering if anyone had done the schemes before and was subsequently successful in getting a vac scheme offer, how likely this is or just any general advice for putting myself in the best position possible during/after?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post, however I have a few first year schemes coming up (CMS, DLA and Linklaters) which all offer 'early assessment' for vacation schemes. I was just wondering if anyone had done the schemes before and was subsequently successful in getting a vac scheme offer, how likely this is or just any general advice for putting myself in the best position possible during/after?
    @Neville Birdi , @Jacob Miller and @Dheepa - do you have any experiences of these “early assessment” fast-track schemes?

Reactions: Anon08

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Neville Birdi , @Jacob Miller and @Dheepa - do you have any experiences of these “early assessment” fast-track schemes?
    Unfortunately I can't be a huge help here - I did interview for the CC SPARK scheme, which isn't a hundred miles away from this except it's for a TC, but completely bombed the interview so didn't get the scheme. I think all the normal considerations in terms of presenting yourself would apply here, though: be engaged, ask good questions, be enthusiastic, put in 100% effort etc etc. If you've made it as far as the scheme, the firms clearly think you're an exceptional candidate with a high likelihood of doing well, so very well done!

Hi All,

Hey! I had two ‘fast track’/‘first steps’ schemes at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, and CMS, respectively.

For Weil, there were 10 of us on the Fast Track scheme and 3 of us converted it. However, I know the scheme is really is challenging and can catch those who are unprepared off-guard.

For CMS, I don’t know how many of us were on the scheme - maybe 50...but don’t hold me to that, I can’t remember! I don’t know how many of us got it, but the conversion rate seemed pretty high.

I can’t give hardcore facts and stats - but I’ll just say that if you do get on a first steps/fast track scheme, you’re in with a really good shot of getting a VS, compared with applying to the VS at the respective firm through the normal route.

The best way to prepare is like any other VS - however, try and leverage the experiences you have on the said schemes in your interview answers. Don’t do it ad nauseam but enough to demonstrate your development and that your interest in the career/firm has deepened.

Hope that helps!

Ailsa I

Standard Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Unfortunately I can't be a huge help here - I did interview for the CC SPARK scheme, which isn't a hundred miles away from this except it's for a TC, but completely bombed the interview so didn't get the scheme. I think all the normal considerations in terms of presenting yourself would apply here, though: be engaged, ask good questions, be enthusiastic, put in 100% effort etc etc. If you've made it as far as the scheme, the firms clearly think you're an exceptional candidate with a high likelihood of doing well, so very well done!

Hey! I had two ‘fast track’/‘first steps’ schemes at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, and CMS, respectively.

For Weil, there were 10 of us on the Fast Track scheme and 3 of us converted it. However, I know the scheme is really is challenging and can catch those who are unprepared off-guard.

For CMS, I don’t know how many of us were on the scheme - maybe 50...but don’t hold me to that, I can’t remember! I don’t know how many of us got it, but the conversion rate seemed pretty high.

I can’t give hardcore facts and stats - but I’ll just say that if you do get on a first steps/fast track scheme, you’re in with a really good shot of getting a VS, compared with applying to the VS at the respective firm through the normal route.

The best way to prepare is like any other VS - however, try and leverage the experiences you have on the said schemes in your interview answers. Don’t do it ad nauseam but enough to demonstrate your development and that your interest in the career/firm has deepened.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks so much to you both for your responses! Will try to keep all that in mind ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.