Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When you are reviewing applications and you find grammatical errors in the firm’s questions more so than in the candidate’s answers

Sorpresa Reaction GIF by TLC Europe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jaysen
Apologies if this is a stupid question in any way.

I am a Bronze member and, if I understand it correctly, I don't have access to the application review service. My question is: is it still possible for me to get applications reviewed, maybe by paying an extra each time I use the service? Or do I need to upgrade to silver?

Thank you
You can purchase individual reviews or you could upgrade.

There is more information here:

Reactions: bibss

Law123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
@Jessica Booker

Hi, I am applying for paralegal positions and one question on an application asks "Please list key skills/relevant experience that match you to this role" with a maximum of 250 words. On answering this would I actually list, for example, bullet points or is it more appropriate to write in paragraphs? Thank you!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi, I am applying for paralegal positions and one question on an application asks "Please list key skills/relevant experience that match you to this role" with a maximum of 250 words. On answering this would I actually list, for example, bullet points or is it more appropriate to write in paragraphs? Thank you!

Hey, despite the word list, I'd always recommend writing in full sentences where the word count allows you to (which in this case it definitely does)

Reactions: Holly and Law123

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

with 250 words I would write in full prose rather than bullet points, I tended to only go for bullet points when I had less than 100 words for answers :)

Reactions: Law123 and Daniel Boden

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Has anyone done a mock interview with aspiring solicitors. I have one booked and the confirmation says let us know which firm it’s with but I don’t know how to let them know? Do I just fill in the contact form on their website? Please help!

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    (Sorry for posting again)
    I'm trying to prep a covid commercial awareness story for an interview just in case they ask + I was thinking of talking about the changing face of the high street + how especially with the sale of both Debenhams' + Arcadia's IP, but not their stores, there are huge gaps in the high street

I found that there are experimental leisure centres now thinking of opening up + also other things like multi-use facilities (like buildings with work, leisure + retail in one space) - what can I say about how this affects law firms + any implications this might have? I feel like I'm onto something but I just don't know what 🤣

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hello - could anyone point me to where bronze and silver members can sign up to the M&A crash course webinar on Wednesday?

Hey I hope this helps

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Flora2580

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    For a question about innovation, would it suffice to talk about introducing a practice which isn’t earth-shattering in itself but which faced some resistance from my manager and which eventually completely changed our systems and delivery for the better. Think about it as introducing folders for different things which is a completely normal thing to do but at this job was considered absolutely out there and ridiculous.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a question about innovation, would it suffice to talk about introducing a practice which isn’t earth-shattering in itself but which faced some resistance from my manager and which eventually completely changed our systems and delivery for the better. Think about it as introducing folders for different things which is a completely normal thing to do but at this job was considered absolutely out there and ridiculous.
    Sounds perfectly reasonable example to me. You saw a issue, you found a solution, it resulted in a better outcome. That really is all that innovation is.

CDKelley

Standard Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    It is different if you are an international student studying in the U.K. Then a visa is straight forward and as of next June will be the case even if you have graduated in the last 2 years.

Look to whether you are eligible for a youth mobility visa - will depend on your home country, but this is one way you can work in the U.K. Its just you will need to pay for it
    This may seem like a silly question-- but can international students who are studying in the UK on a long-term student visa participate in vacation schemes? In Arnold & Porter's application, they state: "we are not able to act as a visa sponsor. Should your application be successful, you will be asked to provide proof of your visa eligibility to complete the duration of a Vacation Scheme or Training Contract." I'm a bit confused if my student visa is enough for me to participate on a VC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This may seem like a silly question-- but can international students who are studying in the UK on a long-term student visa participate in vacation schemes? In Arnold & Porter's application, they state: "we are not able to act as a visa sponsor. Should your application be successful, you will be asked to provide proof of your visa eligibility to complete the duration of a Vacation Scheme or Training Contract." I'm a bit confused if my student visa is enough for me to participate on a VC.
    It is enough to participate on a vacation scheme as long as the scheme runs outside of your university term time. However, considering many firms use vacation schemes as a recruitment process for their training contracts, they have a preference for those who could have the right to work for a TC.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    hey guys so I'm completing the WBD app and in the work exp section is says this:
    "Please describe how your experience in this role matches the job you are applying for. Think about how the experience you've gained would help you be successful in performing your duties."

do I have to do something different to normal work exp sections?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys so I'm completing the WBD app and in the work exp section is says this:
    "Please describe how your experience in this role matches the job you are applying for. Think about how the experience you've gained would help you be successful in performing your duties."

do I have to do something different to normal work exp sections?
    Yes - it’s a very clever question from them to spin a standard question and make sure people don’t just copy and paste their work experience from other applications.

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Yes - it’s a very clever question from them to spin a standard question and make sure people don’t just copy and paste their work experience from other applications.
    Ah ok, thanks, Jessica! Would this basically mean that I have to write (for example) "Whilst working at Waitrose, I developed invaluable customer service skills, which would help me during my vacation scheme at WBD, as I would be able to successfully interact with clients"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.