• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

This might be a slightly silly question, but I’m genuinely trying to get some clarity on how we’re supposed to research firms effectively. Is there essentially a “hit list” of things we should be looking for?

I asked a similar question at a Pinsent Masons event, and one of the things that came up was that, ultimately, firms often do very similar types of work. For example, if you’re interested in disputes, there are certain fundamental things you’ll be doing regardless of which firm you join.

So, in that case, how do we actually identify the nuance between firms? What should we be looking for that goes beyond practice areas and headline deals, that one thing that makes you think, “Ah-ha, this is why I specifically want to work here.

@Antoni Trochimowicz and @all
 
Are K&E applications rolling or non-rolling for the TC?
Also, does anybody know their stance on uni grades? I didn't hear from gradrec or from someone directly that they want a first, or above 65 in each module, or etc that Slaugher/Cleary ask for. But, I also asked their current trainees and they said everyone in their cohort has achieved a 1st. I am hence not sure how they actually look at a 2:1 average in first year. Thanks!
 
Are K&E applications rolling or non-rolling for the TC?
Also, does anybody know their stance on uni grades? I didn't hear from gradrec or from someone directly that they want a first, or above 65 in each module, or etc that Slaugher/Cleary ask for. But, I also asked their current trainees and they said everyone in their cohort has achieved a 1st. I am hence not sure how they actually look at a 2:1 average in first year. Thanks!
not sure how strict they are with grades but they seem to favour oxbridge students
 

Find member