Mandatory 2.1 or above in non-law modules for top firms?

student101

Standard Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm currently in my first year of a joint-honours Law degree, and was wondering when applying for vacation schemes and training contracts at top firms (e.g. Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms) whether a 2.1 or above in all modules is expected/considered mandatory? Or is it really just expected in the Law modules?

Thanks!

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
It's expected that you obtain a 2.1 as your total grade average (or expected grade average). You can have a few 2.2s around - however, certain firms will scrutinise you and may ask about it in your interview (Slaughter and May, White & Case, etc). Other firms may be more stringent about obtaining 2.1s (minimum) in certain modules like Contract law (i.e. Davis Polk), and will reject you automatically as part of their filtering process (although things may have changed since then).

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I concur with the above.

It certainly differs on a firm-by-firm basis with some being more particular than others. The way to approach it all really though is to simply do your best. At the end of the day, you are in a pool of applicants that can be thousands in size. You want to limit anything that will potentially put you into the "no" pile, 2:2's included. That doesn't mean 2:1's are mandatory, however, but you get my point :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: student101 and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm currently in my first year of a joint-honours Law degree, and was wondering when applying for vacation schemes and training contracts at top firms (e.g. Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms) whether a 2.1 or above in all modules is expected/considered mandatory? Or is it really just expected in the Law modules?

Thanks!

not all modules - although the stronger the performance the better.

it doesn’t matter if the module is compulsory or not, nor what subject it is in.

• ℹ️
Reactions: student101

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

Thanks!
    Just to echo what's been said above, it really is firm dependent I'm afraid. Most firms would be fine with the odd 2.2 as long as your overall grade is a 2.1 or above but some firms which are known for being particularly strict on grades e.g. Slaughters, Davis Polk etc. will be a bit less forgiving

• ℹ️
    Reactions: student101 and Lauren2

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    As others have said on this forum, it is really firm dependent.

I went through a really tough period in my second year of university, and this impacted my grades for a couple of my exams.

It's never been explicitly brought up when I have gone to interview, but I have chosen to bring it up as a positive. I worked hard in my final year and achieved a first in all but one exam, with the non-first grade being 1% off a first. In this cycle of applications I have been asked more than once about an example of when I have displayed tenacity, or when I have exceeded expectations. I have used my experience as an example of how I worked hard, and learnt from my mistakes.

Best of luck with your applications :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.