Freshfields application

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Do people have any advice or insight?

Just a blank box to write about yourself - positions of responsibility, employment/work experience, achievements, interests, personal qualities

Reactions: Kate

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It's broad and there's no set application questions because they want to see you can cover the points above with a clear structure. So take your structure and your writing very seriously. Scrutinise your paragraphs -- make sure there are no typos, waffle or grammar mistakes.

You can write about your positions of responsibility/why Freshfields as you would in any application form, but again, just make sure you are thinking about how it fits in with the rest of your answer.

Not sure if you've seen this before but attached is a guide they circulated a couple of years ago. Most of it isn't tailored to Freshfields but there are some useful pointers there.

Attachments

• The perfect application to Freshfields 2013-14 (2).pdf
      362.5 KB · Views: 1,022

mana

Standard Member
    Oct 9, 2018
    Hi, wondering if anyone knows who I should be addressing my cover letter to at freshfields, and whether its best to max out on the 850 words or keep it slightly shorter?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi, wondering if anyone knows who I should be addressing my cover letter to at freshfields, and whether its best to max out on the 850 words or keep it slightly shorter?

Hopefully someone else can advise on your first question. For your second, there's no "best" it just depends on how much you have to say. If you've run out of substantive points to make then it's fine to have it slightly shorter.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi, wondering if anyone knows who I should be addressing my cover letter to at Freshfields, and whether its best to max out on the 850 words or keep it slightly shorter?
    If you are talking about the personal statement, I didn't address mine to anyone as I felt it would be a waste of words and since it isn't a cover letter per se. In my opinion as long as your word count is within 100 of 850 you are fine. They have set that word limit for a reason so I'd imagine that's the level of detail they want you to go into!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen

mana

Standard Member
    Oct 9, 2018
    If you are talking about the personal statement, I didn't address mine to anyone as I felt it would be a waste of words and since it isn't a cover letter per se. In my opinion as long as your word count is within 100 of 850 you are fine. They have set that word limit for a reason so I'd imagine that's the level of detail they want you to go into!

Interesting, thanks!

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I’ve always just put my name in that box. It’s a personal statement about you and having your name there will remind them who the statement is about when reading through it.

I don’t think it’s something you need to overthink

• Dislike
    Reactions: Brihadeesh and AJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.