Slaughter and May Training Contract Application 2022

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Any new correspondence from Slaughters? Saw someone on TCLA get a under consideration email, and so did my friend who applied earlier than me. Was wondering if this is sent to certain applicants, or rather, in banches? Or is it a generic email sent after a certain time post app! Never had this happen to me before.

:)

EA

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Not too sure under what circumstance
Any new correspondence from Slaughters? Saw someone on TCLA get a under consideration email, and so did my friend who applied earlier than me. Was wondering if this is sent to certain applicants, or rather, in banches? Or is it a generic email sent after a certain time post app! Never had this happen to me before.

Were the emails received automatically or replies to individual queries?

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020

I think this was to specific emails/queries, at least thats what I thought from the wording of the messages.

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
I think this was to specific emails/queries, at least thats what I thought from the wording of the messages.

Ah I see! Then again, they did send me one of those " your app is under consideration" in Feb for their Spring VS(It was sent without any previous correspondence)

Not sure , maybe it differs for TC apps

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
Hi, I got an email from Slaughter and May.
I was asked to send an explanation of the grading system and boundaries for my university.
Does anyone know what that entails?

Hi, thank you for sharing this!

I am currently in the process of drafting my CV in order to apply for the Slaughter and May 2021 VC. Similarly, I am struggling with deciding how should I provide my school grades. I finished my pre-universitary studies in the Republic of Moldova and I cannot find guidance online on how to equivalate my grades to GCSEs and A-levels. That coupled with the fact that sat my baccalaureat examination 7 years ago. I haven't had any issues with being accepted to study at a UK university, yet when it comes to completing online forms or drafting a legal CV I feel like law firms might dismiss my application based on my results at those level. For instance, last year I applied for a VC with Pinsent Masons and I received a rejection email saying that they require strong academic all throughout. Frankly, that left me puzzled because, at that point, I had been awarded a first-class honours degree in International Relations and Sociology, I had been working as a Market Intelligence Research Assistant for the offshore oil and gas market, and I was in my first of two years of the accelerated LLB.

Any advice on that matter would be much appreciated! :)

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019

I am currently in the process of drafting my CV in order to apply for the Slaughter and May 2021 VC. Similarly, I am struggling with deciding how should I provide my school grades. I finished my pre-universitary studies in the Republic of Moldova and I cannot find guidance online on how to equivalate my grades to GCSEs and A-levels. That coupled with the fact that sat my baccalaureat examination 7 years ago. I haven't had any issues with being accepted to study at a UK university, yet when it comes to completing online forms or drafting a legal CV I feel like law firms might dismiss my application based on my results at those level. For instance, last year I applied for a VC with Pinsent Masons and I received a rejection email saying that they require strong academic all throughout. Frankly, that left me puzzled because, at that point, I had been awarded a first-class honours degree in International Relations and Sociology, I had been working as a Market Intelligence Research Assistant for the offshore oil and gas market, and I was in my first of two years of the accelerated LLB.

Not sure if this is the right approach, but I put a small one line explanation of the grading scale after the grades. e.g. grading scale runs from 1-10. 6 is a pass and 10 is the highest grade.

If it is a university in Europe, there will be information about equivalence for ECTS. e.g. 10 = A.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

Hi Victoria,

I appreciate this is a really difficult situation, especially if you cannot find information on converting the grades as well.

I do agree with what has been said that it would be best to put a line of explanation somewhere - I know for Slaughters it is a CV and cover letter so I would think the latter would be the best option here. I wonder if you are still at university - might they know more about grading etc and how it all equates?

Sorry I don't have the best answer here but I would really try again to explore every avenue to find out how the grades might translate for HR to be able to review it. I suppose if you are still struggling though it never hurts to call HR, explain the circumstances, and ask them what you are best off doing :)

Wishing you all the best with the application

• 🤝
Reactions: Victoria Muntean

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
Hi Alice!

Thank you so much for your advice. :)

Yes, I am currently in my second year. You are certainly right I will get in touch with the university career services and ask them for advice on that. The fact that Slaughters and May recruit through CVs and Cover Letter was one among many other reasons why I chose to apply to them as well. I find that it would allow me to better explain my academic and professional background as opposed to online forms which can be a bit limiting in terms of the information you can provide.

Hi Victoria,

I appreciate this is a really difficult situation, especially if you cannot find information on converting the grades as well.

I do agree with what has been said that it would be best to put a line of explanation somewhere - I know for Slaughters it is a CV and cover letter so I would think the latter would be the best option here. I wonder if you are still at university - might they know more about grading etc and how it all equates?

Sorry I don't have the best answer here but I would really try again to explore every avenue to find out how the grades might translate for HR to be able to review it. I suppose if you are still struggling though it never hurts to call HR, explain the circumstances, and ask them what you are best off doing :)

Wishing you all the best with the application

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I have similar concerns. I was told today that I am only eligible to apply for the winter workshops or the TC, and frankly speaking, I am afraid that the chances are really slim in being successful if I apply for the TC directly.

Slaughters actually have historically recruited a lot more trainees through direct TC than other firms! I doubt that's changing this year

• 🤝
    Reactions: Victoria Muntean

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I know that Slaughters (and many other firms) ask whether you have applied to them before and want details of that - do you guys think this will hinder your application if you have applied and been rejected before?!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.