Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you! the other half of the answer is about something completely unrelated to disputes so i don't think that will be a problem. i'm just wary of the whole 'why isn't she interested in e.g. energy instead????' angle

Does everything else in your application scream disputes? E.g. work experience is only in disputes, your academics or extra curriculars are more aligned to disputes, are the career events you have been to only disputes related? If so, then I'd be more worried. But if the rest of your application has variety/balance to it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
Does everything else in your application scream disputes? E.g. work experience is only in disputes, your academics or extra curriculars are more aligned to disputes, are the career events you have been to only disputes related? If so, then I'd be more worried. But if the rest of your application has variety/balance to it, then I wouldn't worry about it.
oh no! i've got a lot of experience in the charity sector, and the open days i went to weren't just about disputes - they were at a variety of law firms with a variety of strong points etc

Reactions: Jessica Booker

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi!

I was planning to send a vacation scheme app(Winter) to HSF, their deadline is on 2nd of October. I started a few weeks ago, and have only just got around to finishing it, post drafting , and viewing it with other organisations/trainees. I saw a post by LawCareers.Net which said that if you apply late, your application can be seen later(in terms of order), and thus AC spots may be given away. Was wondering if it's worthy to apply or not? if not, not an issue as they still offer Summer :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

I was planning to send a vacation scheme app(Winter) to HSF, their deadline is on 2nd of October. I started a few weeks ago, and have only just got around to finishing it, post drafting , and viewing it with other organisations/trainees. I saw a post by LawCareers.Net which said that if you apply late, your application can be seen later(in terms of order), and thus AC spots may be given away. Was wondering if it's worthy to apply or not? if not, not an issue as they still offer Summer :)

Can you only apply to one vacancy per cycle?

if you applied tomorrow, you’d probably still be ahead of 20-30% of applications

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yep! HSF only allow for one per cycle!

I think it’s a very individual decision, especially given current circumstances:

- is the winter or summer better for you
- do you want a TC order early or late in the cycle (later might be better if you want to do other summer internships)
- do you want to do the scheme online or in person

I think they are all much bigger considerations. I wouldn’t get too caught up in applications and when you apply to be honest - if you are good enough it really won’t matter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have just been checking through my PMs and I have noticed I have missed replying to a small number of people.

I am really sorry for missing them - its been a busy time on PM for me the last few months where it is busy recruitment season and also lots of peope being offered roles asking me questions about on-boarding matters.

If I missed your question and you still want it answered, please feel free to PM me again!

• 🤝
Reactions: Manifesting and Jaysen

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica,

At what point in the recruitment process do law firms usually contact references? Also, is it ever the case that law firms ask for a reference from a specific past employer (perhaps if it is a work experience they are particularly interested in)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

At what point in the recruitment process do law firms usually contact references? Also, is it ever the case that law firms ask for a reference from a specific past employer (perhaps if it is a work experience they are particularly interested in)?

At the point of accepting an offer, all references and employment details would be checked for at least the last 5 years (although can be much longer for some firms).

Some firms will seek references prior to offering the position

Some firms seek references prior to offering an interview

Some firms will seek references to check things like extenuating circumstances before making a decision on an application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: j2134

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
@Jessica Booker do you know whether it's possible to apply to a firm's Open Day and Vacation Scheme separately? I know you can apply to both in one application but I'd like to try the Open Day before a VS application and not sure whether this can be done as it may count as 2 applications in the same cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker do you know whether it's possible to apply to a firm's Open Day and Vacation Scheme separately? I know you can apply to both in one application but I'd like to try the Open Day before a VS application and not sure whether this can be done as it may count as 2 applications in the same cycle?

will depend on the individual firm’s policy

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi Jessica - when firms ask for more CV-style stuff, eg 'Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.'
'Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere', should answers be phrased in succinct, CV-style phrasing, or do graduate recruitment want us to elaborate a lot?

I ask because the Travers app has no word limit to these qs, so I'm unsure how much to write...

Jordon

• Oct 2, 2020
    Hi Jessica, I obtained BBB at A Level in 2016 and started my LLB in September 2019 (working full time in marketing inbetween to develop skills for the future). I’m currently in the process of gathering information for potential firms to apply to for a training contract. One firm I really like the look of is Eversheds Sutherland, however they have a requirement of ABB at A Level. I was wondering if you could advise me on whether or not I should still apply given that I have missed out on the grade requirements slightly, or will my experience working within a client facing industry and the fact I gained a first class in my first year help my application not go straight in the ‘reject’ pile?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess, hope you are well! I suppose reading a master's degree at a higher ranked university does not count as 'significant development since a candidate last attended the interview'? Thank you :)

not if it’s just at the start of the PG degree - might be if you have completed it though.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Deleted member 3930

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I obtained BBB at A Level in 2016 and started my LLB in September 2019 (working full time in marketing inbetween to develop skills for the future). I’m currently in the process of gathering information for potential firms to apply to for a training contract. One firm I really like the look of is Eversheds Sutherland, however they have a requirement of ABB at A Level. I was wondering if you could advise me on whether or not I should still apply given that I have missed out on the grade requirements slightly, or will my experience working within a client facing industry and the fact I gained a first class in my first year help my application not go straight in the ‘reject’ pile?

My advice for any one in your situation is to invest the time in speaking to firms to find out their attitude and approach. This will pay off in the long term.

You have to listen or read carefully to what they say "candidates must have obtained XXX" is very different to "successful candidates will typically have achieved XXX" for instance.

I have known people ask more direct questions like "have any of your trainees achieved less than ABB without mitigating circumstances?" to try and get a reality check on how realistic it is for candidates outside of their criteria to get the job too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica - when firms ask for more CV-style stuff, eg 'Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.'
    'Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere', should answers be phrased in succinct, CV-style phrasing, or do graduate recruitment want us to elaborate a lot?

I ask because the Travers app has no word limit to these qs, so I'm unsure how much to write...

I don't think it has to be one or the other, it could be a hybrid of both. With the things worthwhile explaing (e.g. where you had impact in the role) then paragraphs may be more appropriate. Just focus on what you achieved/learnt though, I don't think you need to be descriptive of what you did.

With things that are more factual achievements (e.g. Grade 8 Piano) that doesn't need any description really and could bbe much more like how it would be listed in a CV.

Also depends on how much varied stuff you have to talk about though - one person's prose style might be needed where they have less variety but more depth. The next person could be bullet points where they have much more variety and far less depth.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    this might be a stupid question buttt I was basically signed up to attend the HSF Grad Rec live chats for 3pm today but I completely missed it because I was super busy with something... I'm just wondering wether this means they will blacklist me for signing up to but not attending an event. In the past there have been two firms (not hsf) that have come onto uni campus and said that the people who signed up to but didn't attend their event are blacklisted :oops:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.