2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Has anyone heard back re their application for a spring vacation scheme at White & Case, Norton Rose Fulbright, Dentons or Reed Smith? :)
Submitted Dentons on 15th, received Watson on 20th, but heard nothing in the week since doing re progression to interview. Heard nothing from NRF after submitting 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: AH97

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
Submitted Dentons on 15th, received Watson on 20th, but heard nothing in the week since doing re progression to interview. Heard nothing from NRF after submitting 2 weeks ago.
I submitted my application to Dentons 1 week ago, haven't received the WG yet:oops: guess I need to be a bit more patient

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Hello! Does anyone who is applying to Mishcon de Reya know what grad recruiters are looking for on the
"Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application?" question?

My first guess was that you're meant to talk more about yourself and the skills you can bring to the role. But this question is also in its own section (separated from the other application questions on why law / why mishcon / your passions etc, which are in the same section), so now I'm thinking it might be a space for candidates to explain any mitigating circumstances etc...

Thanks in advance

You can literally talk about anything you like. It could be an additional extra curricular, a talent you have, something unique about you, additional info on mitigation circumstances etc etc... this is what grad rec said on the open day

Reactions: dollyparton

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Has anyone had a feedback report back yet after taking the BCLP test? Some firms send them instantaneously so wondered if that was the case for this one :)
    What was the test like? I haven't been able to do it yet as I have been speaking to GR about my disability adjustments but if you could let me know, it would make a world of a difference! Ty

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    What was the test like? I haven't been able to do it yet as I have been speaking to GR about my disability adjustments but if you could let me know, it would make a world of a difference! Ty
    Quite similar to the linklaters test where you have different scenarios and rank your responses and answer personality questions. Then there’s a short watson glaser style part at the end!

Reactions: Celestie

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    For the Ropes & Grey question: "What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray?" do you think there is a carte blanche to answer this how you see fit (i.e. mentioning culture, new areas of growth, strengthening existing areas etc) or are they looking for you to focus on one particular topic?
    Thanks

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    For the Ropes & Grey question: "What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray?" do you think there is a carte blanche to answer this how you see fit (i.e. mentioning culture, new areas of growth, strengthening existing areas etc) or are they looking for you to focus on one particular topic?
    Thanks
    They’re not loooking for a particular topic. U have to have a business case proposal in any of the three things you have mentioned

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Hi,

For Reed Smith's question "Please give details of any prizes, awards or stipends etc. you have won or been granted, numbering them 1 to 5 (you need not include your degree here)", is it best to give five but in limited detail?

Or outline less awards such as 2/3 but go into more detail?

The word limit is 250 words.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi,

For Reed Smith's question "Please give details of any prizes, awards or stipends etc. you have won or been granted, numbering them 1 to 5 (you need not include your degree here)", is it best to give five but in limited detail?

Or outline less awards such as 2/3 but go into more detail?

The word limit is 250 words.

I think whatever you feel is best. At the open day we were told that the first app is not assessed at all, but used to ‘get to know you’. So I don’t think they’ll look unfavourably upon anything. If you have lots of great things to talk about do a brief of 5. For me I barely have three haha

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    I think whatever you feel is best. At the open day we were told that the first app is not assessed at all, but used to ‘get to know you’. So I don’t think they’ll look unfavourably upon anything. If you have lots of great things to talk about do a brief of 5. For me I barely have three haha
    Great, thanks a lot! :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Nor did I! Yes, it seems to be two part (although I still haven't finished it): 1)SJT 2) WG type questions. There's no time limit so I would have a good break in between. Word of warning: the WG questions are the hardest I've done. However, this could be because I am tired and hungry now.
    Sorry do you know if the test is sent automatically, or do they screen your app first?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks
    Yep I'd answer however you see fit based on your understanding of the firm.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

hunter

Star Member
  • Oct 30, 2020
    Is it a bad idea to withdraw an application from a firm?
    I applied to a firm for their vac scheme but they've not got back to me.
    I have since accepted another scheme over the same dates, so seems a bit silly for them to consider my application when I can't accept an offer if I were successful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.