2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
How realistic is it for me to be successful applying for vacation schemes at firms with a rolling deadline (Jones day, Travers Smith) only now? Should I just concentrate on those with non-rolling? Would like to apply but don’t want to waste time if they won’t even read my app

I am worried about this too - I am still to apply to Bird & Bird. The deadline for Jones Day isn't until January though.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
For prizes awards and stipends... I don’t have any prizes outside the awards I got in school during GCSE and A levels...
I don’t really know what else to put?

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Anyone have any tips for Dentons phone interview? Just got invited!!!!

Hi, I did the interview in March. It is a set of questions about your motivation, competencies etc. Think beforehand what attracts you to the firm, what the work of a commercial solicitor entails (I had exactly this question asked), why commercial law, what your biggest weakness is, whether you can show an example of teamwork etc.

Btw when did you do the WG because I reapplied this year (as in March they told me that they had decided to stop recruitment and therefore I never found out what the outcome of my interview was :D)

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    Btw when did you do the WG because I reapplied this year (as in March they told me that they had decided to stop recruitment and therefore I never found out what the outcome of my interview was :D)

I was in exactly the same position as you (never found out interview result) and submitted my application on 15th, Watson on 20th, invite to telephone today. Best of luck.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    BCLP feedback on their test is so weird - copy and paste energy ahaha. Anyone know when we find out if we are being processed?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Can anyone explain how it makes practical sense (from an applicant and recruitment perspective), that law firms ask for written answers (at times 2000+ words in length) – only to have a test straight after which determines whether your application is read.

I understand there are exceptions as some firms look at the test result and written answers holistically (Freshfields is a great example), but for many the test is just a criteria for your application to be read – leading to a lot of wasted time for the applicant who can spend up to a week drafting answers to questions. For the recruiter, having a number questions in the first stage means less high quality applicants can be bothered to apply.

Does it not make sense, as companies in other sectors are starting to do, to have a a short application form which can be filled in <30 mins (to assess eligibility), followed by a test, which if you pass you can then submit written answers to questions?

I don't think this will happen in the near future, but I am yet to see an argument to why the process is structured this way.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi, I did the interview in March. It is a set of questions about your motivation, competencies etc. Think beforehand what attracts you to the firm, what the work of a commercial solicitor entails (I had exactly this question asked), why commercial law, what your biggest weakness is, whether you can show an example of teamwork etc.

Thank you so much!! This is amazingly helpful!!

I did the WG last week not sure of the exact date I think it was 25th or 26th?? hope you hear back soon as well :D which office are you applying for??

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Can anyone explain how it makes practical sense (from an applicant and recruitment perspective), that law firms ask for written answers (at times 2000+ words in length) – only to have a test straight after which determines whether your application is read.

I understand there are exceptions as some firms look at the test result and written answers holistically (Freshfields is a great example), but for many the test is just a criteria for your application to be read – leading to a lot of wasted time for the applicant who can spend up to a week drafting answers to questions. For the recruiter, having a number questions in the first stage means less high quality applicants can be bothered to apply.

Does it not make sense, as companies in other sectors are starting to do, to have a a short application form which can be filled in <30 mins (to assess eligibility), followed by a test, which if you pass you can then submit written answers to questions?

I don't think this will happen in the near future, but I am yet to see an argument to why the process is structured this way.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I came to the conclusion that long application forms followed by a test probably stops a lot of low effort applications in general, which would be a slog to read. The thinking probably is that if someone is willing to write 2000 first on why the firm, they are dedicated and actually interested.

Also by having a long application and then a test, instead of the other way around, it keeps cadidates from seeing and learning the test under fake names and then applying for real after they know how to game it.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    I was actually thinking about this the other day. I came to the conclusion that long application forms followed by a test probably stops a lot of low effort applications in general, which would be a slog to read. The thinking probably is that if someone is willing to write 2000 first on why the firm, they are dedicated and actually interested.

Also by having a long application and then a test, instead of the other way around, it keeps cadidates from seeing and learning the test under fake names and then applying for real after they know how to game it.

Valid points - just to react to this. I think the applicants who are interested in the company will be the ones who submit detailed answers following the tests. The difference will be these answers are actually read and their efforts spent writing these answers are not in vain. Further, for those that make it that far in the process – I think it will actually incentivise them to write higher quality answers than they would have if it were the first stage of the process.

Re: the test - given the prevalence of Watson-Glaser tests (which have randomised questions from a question bank) I don't think it is possible to game it the same way as it may be in other forms of tests. But this point is definitely valid.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Valid points - just to react to this. I think the applicants who are interested in the company will be the ones who submit detailed answers following the tests. The difference will be these answers are actually read and their efforts spent writing these answers are not in vain. Further, for those that make it that far in the process – I think it will actually incentivise them to write higher quality answers than they would have if it were the first stage of the process.

Re: the test - given the prevalence of Watson-Glaser tests (which have randomised questions from a question bank) I don't think it is possible to game it the same way as it may be in other forms of tests. But this point is definitely valid.

The civil service makes you do tests before they let you complete an application for some posts - honestly think law firms should do the same

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    The civil service makes you do tests before they let you complete an application for some posts - honestly think law firms should do the same

Very true – although I do hope law firms don't adopt the full civil service recruitment package!

It's has a crazy amount of stages including: around 8 tests which takes around 6 hours to complete; a video interview; written answers; AC; and then final interview. It makes me thankful some firms just have cover letter/cv -> interview!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.