2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Just got invited to Reed Smith's SST test! Anyone got any pointers/warnings of what to come?

Christ its been a busy day!

Invite to complete the next round of the Willkie application process, post-VI. And an Invite to complete Reed Smith's SST test - if anyone has any tips on the SST test, I would be very grateful :)

For the RS SST test I don't think you can really prepare for it. I think there were about 8 questions and it felt similar to a SJT!

Reactions: Celestie

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Quick question, what are people's thoughts on replying to a WG invite? Especially if it's the next stage rather than an automatic invite? Is it worth thanking Grad Rec and confirming that you have received the invite or just leave it?
    Is this for NRF? I got a WG invite for the winter VS and did not thank them - managed to get through to telephone interview so it can't have harmed me. Up to you though.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Invite to complete the next round of the Willkie application process, post-VI. And an Invite to complete Reed Smith's SST test - if anyone has any tips on the SST test, I would be very grateful :)

Amazing, well done. It will be two weeks tomorrow that I did the VI but I did get an email saying we would have a decision by Xmas Eve. So hopefully shouldn't be too much longer. When did you complete your VI?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Quick question, what are people's thoughts on replying to a WG invite? Especially if it's the next stage rather than an automatic invite? Is it worth thanking Grad Rec and confirming that you have received the invite or just leave it?

I personally wouldn't as GR is probably swamped with work rn. It won't harm anything but it won't make any difference, imo?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

Hey!

I wouldn't tbh because it's usually an automated email and very early in the process. Even if you respond, they may not see it or reply. It'd be better if you got the telephone interview and thanked them then (unless that was automated) or during the call itself.

It wouldn't harm your chances at all but it wouldn't really do anything either.

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Amazing, well done. It will be two weeks tomorrow that I did the VI but I did get an email saying we would have a decision by Xmas Eve. So hopefully shouldn't be too much longer. When did you complete your VI?

Hi Ricky, I completed the VI on 26/11. I think that because they have amended the application process (there is now a written exercise prior to being invited the assessment centre) they are taking longer to get back to candidates.

Reactions: Ricky

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi Ricky, I completed the VI on 26/11. I think that because they have amended the application process (there is now a written exercise prior to being invited the assessment centre) they are taking longer to get back to candidates.

Oh really, what is this new written exercise? It was supposed to be a written exercise and interview during a half-day AC.

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Oh really, what is this new written exercise? It was supposed to be a written exercise and interview during a half-day AC.

There has not been much information given apart from a 'written analytical exercise' which will be completed virtually during January/February. If successful, people are then invited to a interview with a partner and a senior associate.

Reactions: OH

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    There has not been much information given apart from a 'written analytical exercise' which will be completed virtually during January/February. If successful, people are then invited to a interview with a partner and a senior associate.

Sounds like they are splitting up the half-day AC and reducing the number of people going to interview rather than scoring both those tasks together.

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 20, 2020
    Does anyone know if Linklaters only gives out AC invites in January?
    Could be wrong, but I reckon they'll give them out in January yeah, especially for Spring Vacation Scheme. The Winter Vacation Scheme Students have their TC interviews the first week of Jan, so assuming they'll be after those?

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    Hi there,
    I am currently studying the LPC with an MSc in Law, Business and Management. On the apply4law applications, there are two separate sections; postgraduate and GDL/LPC. I was just wondering if I should mention the MSc part of my course in the postgraduate section as the LPC section of the form doesn't give the option to include this or is it not necessary?

@Jessica Booker do you have any insight on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

no - just leave it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there,
    I am currently studying the LPC with an MSc in Law, Business and Management. On the apply4law applications, there are two separate sections; postgraduate and GDL/LPC. I was just wondering if I should mention the MSc part of my course in the postgraduate section as the LPC section of the form doesn't give the option to include this or is it not necessary?

@Jessica Booker do you have any insight on this?

no - that would suggest they are two separate qualifications. Just explain in the LPC section that it is a MSc integrated course.

p9b

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 29, 2019
    The score alone won’t progress you to interview; the situational judgement/personality tests are just as important for Linklaters.

For reference I was in the 92nd percentile and didn’t make it past the test. Others I know got 98+ and didn’t make it through.
    Oh wow, im glad i read this. I did the linklaters app last year, got in the 99th percentile for WG and still didnt get an interview. I thought it was purely because of my grades ( I achieved a 2:1 but still have a few poor module marks in there). I didnt realise they placed that much importance on the personality test

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.