2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    rejection from NRF post WG test. Really do not know what I am doing wrong with these tests, I practice lots on assessment day, have a critical thinking book and do well in practice tests but can't seem to replicate this in the real thing! :(
    Sorry to hear this! WG tests can be quite hard, though it sounds as if the added pressure of the actual test as opposed to practice tests may be preventing you from doing so well!

I found I get like this before- for WG tests and case study interviews, where I would smash 3 or 4 practice interviews and then bottle it in the real one and bomb. I altered my mindset into the frame that the 'real' version of what I was doing was absolutely no different to the practice versions that I'd done beforehand. I made sure to constantly remind myself that I've done dozens of these before and always do well, this time will be no different etc. I focussed a lot on my breathing, getting comfortable, etc, before starting. Always found that having a particular routine of breathing deeply for a minute or two with my eyes closed, remembering all the prior tests I'd done beforehand, helped my nerves a lot and I was a lot more calm and confident through the assessment.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CMD and lozza_2

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    rejection from NRF post WG test. Really do not know what I am doing wrong with these tests, I practice lots on assessment day, have a critical thinking book and do well in practice tests but can't seem to replicate this in the real thing! :(
    Don't lose hope! I'm sure you will be successful with your other applications, and don't forget you managed to get an AC already!

• 🤝
    Reactions: lozza_2 and OB

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Sorry to hear this! WG tests can be quite hard, though it sounds as if the added pressure of the actual test as opposed to practice tests may be preventing you from doing so well!

I found I get like this before- for WG tests and case study interviews, where I would smash 3 or 4 practice interviews and then bottle it in the real one and bomb. I altered my mindset into the frame that the 'real' version of what I was doing was absolutely no different to the practice versions that I'd done beforehand. I made sure to constantly remind myself that I've done dozens of these before and always do well, this time will be no different etc. I focussed a lot on my breathing, getting comfortable, etc, before starting. Always found that having a particular routine of breathing deeply for a minute or two with my eyes closed, remembering all the prior tests I'd done beforehand, helped my nerves a lot and I was a lot more calm and confident through the assessment.
    This is amazing advice. Alongside this, I would really advise making cheat sheets. I have an a4 piece of paper that really breaks down the questions and includes hints and tips that I've had in my feedback from past tests. Having these just makes me feel so much more reassured and just jogs my memory for tests.

Alongside this I really just breathe before any exam I sit, WG tests including. Before clicking start I remind myself I am capable and able to complete this test!!

Other than that, if WG tests aren't for you then maybe you should focus your apps to firms that don't use the WG. Off the top of my head, Simmons uses a SJT and White & Case goes straight from app to VI.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    I would say the test is a combination of situational judgement and around 15-20 qs critical thinking at the end. I would recommend a break in between as it can be full-on! Also with SJT, I would say to refresh yourself on what BCLP look for in their trainees but don't base your answers just off of this. IMO SJT depends on consistent answers so saying you're totally independent in one scenario and then saying you wouldn't take sole responsibility for a project role in another shows inconsistency so think about that when you're answering!

It's also my first time applying to bclp so am a bit unsure of what to expect of the test! I was just wondering on what basis the test is assessed on. For example I believe in the HSF feedback it showed that they assessed the test on things like teamwork/how well you work with others + adaptability of approach etc. (my brains a bit foggy I don't think that's 100% right).

jds555

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 26, 2019
    So here's some things that make Latham unique compared to other US firms:

1. Variety (Part 1) - They have a PE focus yes but they're one of the few firms that are equally as good at sponsor and lender side deals. This is especially true for their banking team. Compare this to a firm like Kirkland for example (which I would say is one of Latham's hugest competitors), which only does sponsor side deals.

2. Variety (Part 2) - Latham are massively investing in growth in London at the moment. They have a new technology transactions team, entertainment sports and media team and an extremely strong Tier 1 project finance team. Worth mentioning even their disputes team ranks pretty highly at Tier 2. (This is all according to the Legal 500). Here is some Lawyer articles (behind a paywall unfortunately) on some of the lateral hires they've made recently and a huge disputes case they're doing now.

https://www.thelawyer.com/travers-loses-pe-head-to-latham/
    https://www.thelawyer.com/facebook-drafts-in-latham-and-brick-court-for-giphy-legal-challenge/

3. International presence - They are very proud of this and actually see themselves as offering a "seamless global service" (direct quote from something a partner said and I wrote down in my notes). They have more offices internationally than most of their competitors. Latham has 29, Kirkland has 15, Weil 15 and Skadden 22. They see themselves as being the only US firm to have really conquered both the US and EU market (again a direct quote)

I hope that gives you some things to work off of. If you're struggling with differentiating firms more generally, there is a great post at the end of this thread on how you can go about researching the differences between firms.
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....most-bookmarked-content-2020.2890/#post-45658

In terms of making your answers sound truthful and honest, use information on the firm that really resonates with you! For example, having a broad training contract was important for me so I tried to tie that into the reasons I applied to firms that had a range of expertise. Diversity was also important to me so in many of my apps I would often write about why that was so (any initiatives I'd organised) and again tie that into the diversity statistics/initiatives that the firms run.

The most important thing to remember when justifying "why this firm" is that they want to see that you've really taken the time to think about what you've done/are interested in doing that makes you a good fit for what the firm does. So substantiate things as much a possible with your own experiences and really try to unpack what it is that excites you about training there.

Hope that helps! :)

Dheepa Thank you so much for this and for all of your advice. This is extremely helpful!!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa and Jacob Miller

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

This is amazing advice. Alongside this, I would really advise making cheat sheets. I have an a4 piece of paper that really breaks down the questions and includes hints and tips that I've had in my feedback from past tests. Having these just makes me feel so much more reassured and just jogs my memory for tests.

Alongside this I really just breathe before any exam I sit, WG tests including. Before clicking start I remind myself I am capable and able to complete this test!!

Other than that, if WG tests aren't for you then maybe you should focus your apps to firms that don't use the WG. Off the top of my head, Simmons uses a SJT and White & Case goes straight from app to VI.

Sorry to hear about the WG. I actually failed every single WG I did in my first app cycle (tragic, but true story)

What I found really helped when I applied again was what @LS12 said on making cheat sheets.

Every day before I started any work at all (uni/apps) I'd sit down and practice the mini tests the jobtestprep pack have on each section. The key thing is sitting down and really thinking about why you're answer is wrong and why the correct answer is the right one. That's the information that you'd wanna include in your cheat sheets. You'll find yourself improving pretty quickly after that! The key thing to remember about the WG is that it really is just like preparing for any other exam. Practice, make notes on where you went wrong and practice again until you remember the right technique/approach to use.

The other thing about the WG is that questions repeat themselves in tests for different firms. Even if this time around was a rejection, I guarantee you're going to do better in the next one because of the repeat questions. Also remember that the WG is not a strict pass or fail but depends on an average score, so you may still have scored really highly and just missed the average pass mark by a hair. I'm so sure if you keep at it, your WG pass email is coming. I never thought it'd happen for me but it did and it will happen for you too! :)

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: CMD and Celestie

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

I’d add to all the other comments so far by just saying it’s important to remember you don’t know the law firm’s benchmark! Reminding myself that the benchmark could be anything helps me take the pressure off trying to hit a certain ‘level’ to instead just focus on doing my best for every question.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.