2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Unfortunately, I cannot afford the JobTestPrep - its really expensive and oddly priced. Does anyone know any good free websites?
If you're still in uni, check to see if you can get a free membership through your Careers Service. Thats how I got mine!
Some of my friends also split membership between them but that wasn't an option for me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any good WG cheat sheets or any recommendations of where to find them?
Every Pearson practice test seems to do me over however I have passed firms like CC. Getting a bit frustrated.

Watson Glaser:
Completely agree about contacting your careers service - a lot of them have subscriptions to sites like JobTest that they can provide to you. A lot of careers services are providing access to their services for at least three years post graduation now too (many at least 5 years and some even for a lifetime).

Reactions: jds555

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    In their VS application form, Dentons asks if you've ever applied to them before and "if unsuccessful please include details of how you have developed since." I was unsuccessful for the 2022 direct training contract application, which was obviously quite recent so I haven't had much time to "develop." I've made a big effort to improve my standard of applications through TCLA, attending commercial awareness webinars etc, but is that appropriate to put on the form?

Attending webinars on TCLA is more than appropriate to put in the form. I think really anything you've done at all counts even if it's something simple. The key thing is to really explain what you learnt from everything you did and why you think it makes you a better applicant!

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Have just checked my Dentons portal and realised that I was assigned the WG test (deadline tomorrow) but never received an email about it! Would urge everyone else who is yet to hear back to check the portal :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: collie_121 and Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have any good WG cheat sheets or any recommendations of where to find them?
    Every Pearson practice test seems to do me over however I have passed firms like CC. Getting a bit frustrated.

Do you have any friends that you can share the subscription with? I agree that the price is borderline extortionate, but I split it between three other people and that made it way more affordable!

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Am i correct in thinking that K&E require a cover letter and have application questions? Just want to check because the cover letter says to include why them but they also have a separate question asking that. Thanks!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Am i correct in thinking that K&E require a cover letter and have application questions? Just want to check because the cover letter says to include why them but they also have a separate question asking that. Thanks!

Yes! K&E require both a CL and some questions. I think the area where people get confused is the overlap between the "Why do you want to be a transactional lawyer at Kirkland & Ellis" question and the cover letter. From what I've seen I think most applicants tend to include more general reasons on why K&E in their CL (like their culture/opportunities they offer) while they use the transactional lawyer question to explain things like why they're attracted specifically to the PE work that K&E does.

Reactions: Jaysen, OB and J32

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Completely agree about using JobTestPrep to prep for WG's. I used to fail WG's, but this application season I got confident in my answers because of the explanations given about why I went wrong. I then made a list of common mistakes to watch out for and honestly think that this is the only resource that helped me pass the Bird & Bird WG, best resource I have used so far.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hi! i was invited to a VI for a firm's SVS, and they use LaunchPad. LaunchPad have told me to install the latest flash player but this isn't possible due to Adobe phasing it from today onwards. Any tips on what to do? :(

bzheng

Star Member
    Dec 23, 2019
    Out of curiosity, how long are/were people's White & Case cover letter? Mine is currently sat at 600 which feels rather long

I reached final interview stage last year for the vac scheme and mine was 1242 words - in hindsight very long - but I think it depends on the quality of what you're writing so don't worry if you think it's too long if what you write is strong and tailored

Reactions: jds555
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.