2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorporateB3

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Seeking advice: I applied to Freshfields and somehow managed to miss the template that they request for the personal statement. Is it better to write to GR and let them know that I made this mistake, or to wait for the rejection. It seems that I will get a rejection regardless of the approach I take given that my mistake indicates that I did not pay attention to detail...

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    SAME! I was so thrown off, spoke about inventing something that already existed. In all truth, I definitely expected this rejection.

LOL LITERALLY i was stood there going "hmmm... an invention to help me everyday life... electric toothbrush? wait that already exists". :rolleyes: In the end I said an online platform to collate, log and track all of your applications for law firms including deadlines, dates of completion, the stage you've reached, and any events you attend with those firms including your notes and thoughts after

chin up for your DLA AC!! Take all that energy and channel it into winning - make B&B regret they didn't pick you.

I'm curious about this question and wonder if @Jessica Booker can provide some input. What do you think the law firm was trying to get with this 'can you think up a new innovation that would impact your everyday life'??

Thanks!!

Thank you so much :( (the sad face is because no matter how much this rejection sucks, TCLA makes it brighter and you have all cheered me up so much)

NRF post-telephone interview rejection for the spring scheme! I thought I answered the questions really well, so I am a bit surprised about this outcome. But onwards and upwards!

These are the WORST KINDS of rejection! Did they give you any feedback? Remember that sometimes, it isn't that you were bad at all - it's just that the competition is so high that minor details are picked over. I was actually involved in non-legal recruiting this year for my company and I saw exactly what it must be like for grad rec who receive 1000+ applications - people with PhDs being rejected over minor grammatical errors, people that were great fits except one or two sentences that indicated that they didn't completely understand the company and the work we did... Anyway, just like me and my rejection, have a lovely evening, treat yourself to your favourite food, take a break from law, watch a film and remember that you're better than this one rejection :) The same goes for anybody else receiving rejections tonight!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    chin up for your DLA AC!! Take all that energy and channel it into winning - make B&B regret they didn't pick you.

I'm curious about this question and wonder if @Jessica Booker can provide some input. What do you think the law firm was trying to get with this 'can you think up a new innovation that would impact your everyday life'??

Thanks!!
    From my perspective, a question like this is challenging and is testing your ability to think on your feet. I personally would have thought about what really bothers me in day to day life which we don’t yet have a solution for. I think this is a bit difficult because I tend to think most things have been invented but think it’s a bit of a ‘Dragon’s Den’ exercise.

I don’t suppose they want you to say anything in particular. Just explain a pain point in your daily life and suggest something which could fix it.
    If you could offer something perceptive and ‘additional’ like a price point and marketing strategy and justify that then I’d say that would be seen favourably. Similarly, if people have done similar but your proposition has a USP distinct from their offering then name that competitor and how you could compete/be better on the market.

hope this helps a little!

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    From my perspective, a question like this is challenging and is testing your ability to think on your feet. I personally would have thought about what really bothers me in day to day life which we don’t yet have a solution for. I think this is a bit difficult because I tend to think most things have been invented but think it’s a bit of a ‘Dragon’s Den’ exercise.

I don’t suppose they want you to say anything in particular. Just explain a pain point in your daily life and suggest something which could fix it.
    If you could offer something perceptive and ‘additional’ like a price point and marketing strategy and justify that then I’d say that would be seen favourably. Similarly, if people have done similar but your proposition has a USP distinct from their offering then name that competitor and how you could compete/be better on the market.

hope this helps a little!
    yes!! this makes sense. Thanks Alice

Reactions: Alice G

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    NRF haven’t got back to me yet but still giving out ACs and rejections. Is anyone who did the telephone interview not yet got a reply? Bit worried and I have my exam tomorrow so feeling extra nervous haha
    Yeh getting the rejection 15 hours before the first GDL exam is a real kick in the teeth haha, but no news is probably good news!!! Hope it goes well for you :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.