2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    I just got an AC with Taylor Wessing!! It's my first AC so I am really nervous about it. If anyone has attended an AC with Taylor Wessing or an AC in general, do you have any advice or a heads-up?

Also, if someone else is attending the AC next Tuesday (9th) hmu!! I would be great to know some people on the day :)

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I only have 2 apps left to hear back from so not feeling hopeful. Cannot believe I got a lot further in my first cycle when I barely even knew what commercial law was and my apps are so much better this time around. Feel like all my hard work has gone to waste this year :(

It's definitely not gone to waste! Apps are very similar to everything else in life, i.e. you get better at them with practice. I have no doubt that everything you've learnt from this cycle will only help you stand out that much more in the next one.

It's just so hard to understand what GR are looking for sometimes and unfortunately, I think its fair to say there's a huge luck factor to all the hard work especially at the initial app stage, which is also why it can seem like a one step forward ten steps back process sometimes. I know I felt like this a lot myself when applying. The fact that you've made it beyond the app stage previously shows you have a great amount of potential and I hope you keep going, all it takes is one successful app and that one little bit of luck on your side!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M and Adrian_Healey

H Chambers

Star Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I just got an AC with Taylor Wessing!! It's my first AC so I am really nervous about it. If anyone has attended an AC with Taylor Wessing before, do you have any advice or a heads-up?

Also, if someone else is attending the AC next Tuesday hmu!! I would be great to know some people on the day :)
    Is this for the spring or summer VS?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hiya, what about climate change issues as opposed to a deal? I.e. what the effect of the government's commitment to net zero emissions by 2050 will have on firms and clients. Or is this too broad a topic?

Hi Paris,

Naomi has already given you some great advice, but overall I do think this is a bit of a broad topic on its own. Climate change, sustainability, ESG all of it is affecting different clients in different sectors/industries in different ways. For example, in the retail or consumer goods industry the primary issue is the negative press global companies have and will continue to face if they don't adopt ethical sourcing methods for materials, pay workers (especially in third world countries) fair wages, etc. For the oil & gas industry, it's a far more direct impact to revenues, current projects and the threat of losing relevance to its investor base if they don't transition to green energy swiftly. For financial institutions, there is the increasing relevance of the EU Sustainable Finance Action Plan.

I would really suggest focusing on one of those areas (or the many others that are also being affected by environmental concerns) and drilling down on a deal that takes into account these considerations. You can then tie in your own broader research on these trends when discussing the deal.

Reactions: Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    If asked what challenges face a firm and I don’t mention Brexit will I be penalised? I just really can’t bear the thought of having to research Brexit AGAIN
    To the contrary, I suspect that most people involved in recruitment will be quite pleased to hear about something other than Brexit.

• Love
    Reactions: tk166

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020
    Is anyone having any problems with BCLP's online tests? For one of my tests it still says 'In Progress' (on apply4law.com) but I completed it yesterday.

Hey, similar thing happened to me. I started seeing people in this forum receive feedback reports after 48 hours of completing the test but I never receivied one. After calling grad rec three times about this problem, they ended up extending my deadline & I had to redo the WG part of the test. If you do not receive a feedback report after 48 hours of finishing the test, ring them!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.