2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Any advice for non-law career changers doing ACs? Got invited to my first one yesterday. Do things like producing written advice/mock client interviews tend to require a lot of legal knowledge?
I think its definitely more the commercial side of law rather than technicalities: I would suggest reading 'The Commercial Law Handbook' by Jake Schogger (it has an overview of commercial transactions/ commercial considerations) and for definitions I would recommend 'All You Need To Know About The City' by Chris Stoakes. If you only have the time to read one, I would read the former- it really helped me learn how to structure my case study answers for my AC and helped with commercial knowledge in relation to the law.

Reactions: stemlawgal

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience of my current situation.

I am a second year law student and this has been my first round of VS applications. I have applied for 5 schemes so far and already secured one VS for the Summer. I am so grateful for this opportunity, but as someone who is very critical of themselves I can't help but think this isn't enough and think that I need secure another, as I believe I can't just rely on the one VS to get me a TC. I also got through to VI stage for two firms but just received a rejection for one last night which is seriously making me doubt myself.

I know I should be proud and grateful for the one VS I already have, but does anyone have any advice of being in this situation where they are constantly thinking about the future and doubting their ability, rather than being proud of what they have achieved?

Not sure if I make any sense, I just feel like I'm constantly thinking about the next steps rather than being happy with the one VS that I have already achieved! It's like the human nature to constantly be striving for more and I don't think this mindset is doing me any good!

Rap Battle Black Guy GIF
    Omg I relate to this so hard! I'm a third year but as a second year law student last year I applied to like 6 ish firms and ended up securing 1 VS. I was so happy and wanted to be so grateful because I LOVED the firm but I kept on comparing myself to others in my year who'd secured 3 VS at massive corporate law firms and thinking 'I can't rest up now until I've got a TC!!' rather than being proud of the fact I was one of the few people I knew who managed to get one. Ultimately this attitude came to bite me in the butt because that company's recruitment got totally cancelled because of coronavirus and I got into an even worse mindset of 'if ONLY I'd gotten another one then I wouldn't be in this situation and maybe i'd have a TC right now'. But honestly looking at the makeup of my cohort this year, at an RG uni as well, I only know two people that secured training contracts last year. Having a VS is such a massive achievement especially at these early stages where most firms aren't even done making their offers yet!! I think it's good to be ambitious and have that drive because that's one of the things that's gonna get you to succeed in the future but make sure to take some time and sit back and realise how well you've done already and I'm sure you're gonna do even better once you're on that VS!!!

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Just wondering whether anybody has heard back from Bird&Bird post-AC?
    Not sure if this helps but my AC isn’t until the end of the month, so they might wait til they’ve done all them.

I won’t be THAT GUY who asks you what questions were there, but I was wondering how far in advance do they told you about the format and logistics? I’ve had no information since my slot confirmation last week

D

Deleted member 8341

If I have a vac scheme offer and want to apply to Reed Smith's vac scheme which is still open should I mention the forthcoming vac scheme in work experience section? Obviously make it clear I haven't done it yet, or do i just stick to work I've actually done.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    If you get asked a commercial awareness Q you honestly have no idea about, what would you say is the best way to respond?
    Hiya,

It's very unlikely you'll just get a random very specific commercial question, rather its usually something like tell me about a story or deal you have been following. I think the issue is more likely to arise after this question as sometimes you may get a follow up question that you aren't as sure about or you may get asked an opinion related question.

Nevertheless, I agree with the other responses to this question, you aren't always expected to know everything but its about being able to take an educated guess and form a logical chain of reasoning. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "I'm not sure about X, but from my knowledge of Y, perhaps ........"

Hope this helps & remember if you are discussing a topic you have chosen, never mention anything you don't know or understand.

Best of luck ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.