2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
also, does anyone know if orrick does a decent amount of recruiting through direct TC? and what's happening with them - I saw that some people still haven't heard back from last year!
they are still reviewing TC apps for 2022. She said they'll have reviewed them by next month

northernlawstud

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
Sorry, another question haha. It asks for university module letter grades, is like like A+, B- etc, depending on the percentage? It also asks for an average score, is this your final percentage classification or the average over all the modules? As my two values are quite different

Roomba

Feb 4, 2021
Sorry, another question haha. It asks for university module letter grades, is like like A+, B- etc, depending on the percentage? It also asks for an average score, is this your final percentage classification or the average over all the modules? As my two values are quite different

I put N/A and filled in the % instead because the U.K. doesn't grade with letters, I believe other counties may grade by letters?

I would give your final percentage as it is weighted depending on the credits for each module.

TR17

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
also, does anyone know if orrick does a decent amount of recruiting through direct TC? and what's happening with them - I saw that some people still haven't heard back from last year!
Was wondering this too. I wanted to apply to their direct TC, but not sure if it’s worth it if they don’t recruit a lot from the TC application pool 🤔

CF1234

Star Member
Dec 15, 2020
Hey guys, can anyone help me please?
I want to apply for the Bakers direct TC but just got rejected from the VS.
Does anyone know if I'm able to apply for the TC? or do I have to wait for the next cycle?
If so, what's the expectation for answers - a complete re write?
Thanks

M0723

Valued Member
  • Jan 19, 2020
    Hey guys, can anyone help me please?
    I want to apply for the Bakers direct TC but just got rejected from the VS.
    Does anyone know if I'm able to apply for the TC? or do I have to wait for the next cycle?
    If so, what's the expectation for answers - a complete re write?
    Thanks
    Same I'm wondering this too! Any clarification would be good.

Reactions: CF1234

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    I know when I did GCSEs the papers were different levels, this was 11/12 years ago though (please don’t calculate my age, I’m a bit older than a majority of TC hunters) It doesn’t correlate to the grades you received but does decide what grades you could get. I took higher papers and the grades available were A*-C, if you scored less than C you failed, whereas foundation only went as high as C, even if you scored 100% you couldn’t get higher than a C. I don’t know if it has changed since.
    You and me both lol! I’m 32 this year....😖

Reactions: Polyglot and Kubed

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    You can free text type in the letter grades section, I just typed 1st or 2:1 depending on the module then put the percentage in the number grade value box next to it. I don't know if that was correct, but given UK universities don't give letter grades.

Oxdart

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    So if you’ve applied for TCs and Vac Schemes at firms where they don’t take direct TCs and you’re lucky enough to get a TC..will the VS firms let you interview for a TC if you only have a few weeks to respond to the offer? Anyone know of this happening?

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    So if you’ve applied for TCs and Vac Schemes at firms where they don’t take direct TCs and you’re lucky enough to get a TC..will the VS firms let you interview for a TC if you only have a few weeks to respond to the offer? Anyone know of this happening?
    try emailing the vac scheme firm and asking. But I imagine the reason the VS firm doesn’t offer direct TCs is because the VS is a large part of their assessment process. If the VS wasn’t of any importance to their recruitment process they would offer direct TC apps.

Reactions: Oxdart

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Technically if you accept an offer you are supposed to withdraw from recruitment processes for vac schemes and training contracts.

However, unless your contract states you cannot start work at another firm before you join as a trainee or the vacation scheme firm states in their offer you cannot have accepted a TC, technically there is nothing stopping you from doing vac schemes with other firms.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Oxdart
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.