2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am applying to them as they are rolling basis and want to submit it by next weekend at latest as tye rolling basis scares me.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    I am applying to them as they are rolling basis and want to submit it by next weekend at latest as tye rolling basis scares me.
    i’ve already applied and i haven’t heard anything yet, the email confirmation they sent me was actually wrong as well! the deadline’s in quite a bit of time anyway so don’t think you should be worried at all, think it’s better to make sure your application’s not rushed :)

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    i’ve already applied and i haven’t heard anything yet, the email confirmation they sent me was actually wrong as well! the deadline’s in quite a bit of time anyway so don’t think you should be worried at all, think it’s better to make sure your application’s not rushed :)
    That is the thing I am worried about the rolling basis thing and congratulations on submitting it. I know I should not rush it and will probably do a few drafts for it and submit it by next weekend also thank you for your reply.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am in the process of doing an application for Baker McKenzie direct training contract. Their application question is Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you?

I was thinking of discussing about VAR for those of you who are football supporters will know what I mean by this so wanted to know what do you lot think is it something good to discuss.

M0723

Valued Member
  • Jan 19, 2020
    Has anyone gotten a response from BM whether we are able to re-apply for direct TC if we didn't get a VS offer?
    Just emailed them.

This was their response:

Eligibility

You are only eligible to apply for one Vacation Scheme or Training Contract per application cycle. Our application cycle runs from September to April.

Our Summer Scheme is open to penultimate year students of their undergraduate degree, or those in the second year of a four year course. Final year students and graduates are also eligible to apply for this vacancy.

Reactions: Deleted member 2707

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am in the process of doing an application for Baker McKenzie direct training contract. Their application question is Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you?

I was thinking of discussing about VAR for those of you who are football supporters will know what I mean by this so wanted to know what do you lot think is it something good to discuss.

Questions like this are both really easy and really difficult because there is no right or wrong answer. You can discuss really anything you'd like to. It's a question that is trying to understand what you do in your free time that your particularly passionate about/what makes you happy/what can you talk about for hours without ever getting bored? Since you say you're a football fan then go ahead an talk about the VAR, but don't feel the need to talk about anything legal because I think the further away you stay from legal topics the better.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Questions like this are both really easy and really difficult because there is no right or wrong answer. You can discuss really anything you'd like to. It's a question that is trying to understand what you do in your free time that your particularly passionate about/what makes you happy/what can you talk about for hours without ever getting bored? Since you say you're a football fan then go ahead an talk about the VAR, but don't feel the need to talk about anything legal because I think the further away you stay from legal topics the better.
    Hello Dheepa,

Thank you for this and your reply has made it more simpler for me and has given me more suggestions thank you for this.

RS31

Distinguished Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    I am too scared to complete it in case I mess it up haha
    I haven't done it yet either, was wondering how long after I might expect to hear from them haha. Could anyone refer me to any good (and free!) resources to get better at WG? I did the free tests on JobTestPrep and didn't do well at all - so definitely a bit panicky now!

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I haven't done it yet either, was wondering how long after I might expect to hear from them haha. Could anyone refer me to any good (and free!) resources to get better at WG? I did the free tests on JobTestPrep and didn't do well at all - so definitely a bit panicky now!
    Please don’t feel panicky! You’ll be absolutely fine. I have been using assessment day to practice so try them out :)

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021

I think it depends on what you’re passionate about and how you come across. With me, I spoke about the rise of student-led social mobility organisations and their effectiveness

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I have seen everything from wine tasting to a type of yoga, to architecture of a specific period/country, to the activities of homeless charities.

As long as you can link it back to you and show a clear, thoughtful opinion on it, it really doesn’t matter what the subject is

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.