2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anya B

Distinguished Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hi everyone!
Has anyone interviewed with Winckworth Sherwood before and would be willing to share some insights? The interview is competency-based and lasts for 45 minutes. I am quite nervous as this would be my first in-person interview...
Hi there - I interviewed at Winckworth about 3 weeks ago - the interview was really nice to be honest! The grad rec is super lovely. I found the interview was quite tailored to my application so not a lot of stuff that transfers but defo think about what draws you to the specific work the firm do and read up on their website - best of luck!

Reactions: mia99 and Matt_96

JLD

Feb 9, 2021
Hi all! I'm sure this has been answered before, so please point me in the right direction if there's already been a response.

I've (somehow) managed to get a vac sheme for this summer, which I'm really excited about and will definitely be attending. I haven't heard back from any of my other firms yet (nothing at all!), so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to update the work experience section of those applications on the apply4law portal with the future vac scheme at the other firm - is this common practice?

Thanks!

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Had anyone heard back from Addleshaw Goddard post app for Leeds? Complete radio silence, but I know there have been loads of AC invitations go out for London and Edinburgh???? Thanks!

Jane

Standard Member
Aug 2, 2020
Can I just say - if you're in a group exercise and someone gives a great idea, don't shoot it down just because he/she did well for the other exercises. Just came out of a group exercise where my idea was shot down and I was utterly bullied by everyone on the basis that it "wasn't interesting" when the criteria we were supposed to judge the idea against were all objective, business factors. I have never seen such unprofessionalism in the few AC group exercises I have attended thus far. If you want to win a slot on the scheme, win it on the basis of your strength and don't win it by putting others down. To the others who just sided with the bully and said "yeah" with some grunts of affirmation - shame on you.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Can I just say - if you're in a group exercise and someone gives a great idea, don't shoot it down just because he/she did well for the other exercises. Just came out of a group exercise where my idea was shot down and I was utterly bullied by everyone on the basis that it "wasn't interesting" when the criteria we were supposed to judge the idea against were all objective, business factors. I have never seen such unprofessionalism in the few AC group exercises I have attended thus far. If you want to win a slot on the scheme, win it on the basis of your strength and don't win it by putting others down. To the others who just sided with the bully and said "yeah" with some grunts of affirmation - shame on you.
    I'm actually more scared of group exercises than Associate/partner interviews

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Very sorry to hear you had this experience. Group exercises can be very intimidating and situations like that only make it harder. For what it's worth, in my experience of having now done a lot of these types of tasks, the sort of overtly unpleasant behaviour you describe is extremely unusual and it's highly likely that assessors will see through candidates like that quickly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.