2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    In my opinion the academic prizes question that most firms ask allows them to identify students who have performed better than the majority of their cohort

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    We can debate the RG/non RG uni for weeks.... I hope we don’t though just where this thread is supposed to be focused on vacation scheme applications.

Can I suggest someone starts a new thread if they are really keen for this conversation to continue? I am happy to input into it if people are.

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    What position do you mean?
    The general point that you've been making for years is that university 'prestige'/'brand'/'reputation' isn't something that grad rec are too fussed about. That's an empirical claim. You don't need to defend this decision normatively by saying that University X isn't tougher than University Y - all that matters is that your claim is true. We could prove it to be true by getting a bunch of grad rec in the same room and asking them the question everyone's been asking here tonight!

There are also lots of normative justifications for using rules of thumb like 'most university grading systems are more or less equal' that don't require you to claim that every degree is of equal difficulty. I think that having a rule of thumb that unis grades more or less the same is perfectly valid when grad rec spend like 2 mins on the first reading of an app. Debates over whether Warwick is tougher to get a First from than Durham are such a waste of a firm's resources.

I just realised that I'm using overly academic language and I apologise for this
    And yes we have derailed the thread quite a bit

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    All I said was that something was my experience. I did not argue that russel group students are better and I did not argue that non-RG students are worse, and I don't view them that way either. In response, I got a comment that had nothing to do with what I said. Pointing it out was treated as a cardinal offence even though nothing of what I said was actually rude. Only factual. In response, I was heaped with several comments deriding me for my tone. Those people don't seem to get a talking to about their tone though, despite it being far more actively insulting, including you who started this comment with the goal of "shutting me down". Everyone else in this thread bar one person has shared personal experiences rather than data as part of the discussion but for some reason those are treated as wholly accurate and correct while mine is "limited, biased and subjective".

I am aware that I am speaking from a very small pool of selective experiences. I even prefaced my first statement with an acknowledgement of it. I am also aware that various factors can impact on how results are assessed. I work to be as unbiased as possible. I came from a particularly shitty public school system back in my home country so I am well aware of how different teaching can be at "good" schools and "bad" schools and I tutor in order to help people who may be getting a worse education. So I don't think I'm deserving of a lecture by you, teacher or no.

You’ve gotta be able to listen to the other side without being aggressive.

Jessica is obviously just tryna help

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I went to get an ice lolly
    Oh No Fire GIF

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Tell her to come join the TCLA community. One of the reasons we exist is to try and level the playing field!
    I certainly will do she’s a bright individual way brighter than me. I’ll get her to message you privately with her concerns as I think it will be better coming from an expert GR like you :D

Funny enough she got the same A-level grades than me so the people on here saying non-RG students won’t meet the threshold you would be surprised on how many non-RG students have better a level grades than people who went to RG unis just saying :)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Just saw my rejection from Milbank vac scheme. Applied on the deadline.

Speaking as a dumb North American, I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum (which I only discovered a few weeks ago). Moved to London to be with my partner last year. It's been hella lonely + difficult figuring out how to best apply for vac schemes/training contracts. And although they probably don't know it, @Jessica Booker and @Celestie have hi-key given my applications a bit more of a fighting chance. Just need to keep rollin' with the punches/rejections.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    if the student has learning disabilities, i fully withdraw my little chuckle but otherwise, that is quite worrying.
    It is worrying, but not uncommon. He has no learning difficulties or EHCP. It's incredibly common in some schools. I've worked across three schools, one is a good school on the cusp of outstanding, one is good but recently out of special measures and the third is in and out of special measures and has some incredibly difficult children (there are electric fences and we were issued with rape alarms).
    Even as someone who attended a state comprehensive school, I cannot begin to comprehend how hard it must be for the incredibly bright children to get good grades in that environment. When I am spending my time telling a student how to spell "green" or calling SLT because we have yet another knife in the classroom, I do not have the ability to teach high level content. Try learning science when you cannot do practicals because your classmates can't be trusted with chemicals or fire.
    I think some people on this thread, and in general, need to gain a more accurate perspective on how impossible it is for some people (with just as much potential) to reach the same level they reached. Some children would be incredible lawyers but they're just trying to get through the day.
    I'll try to calm this rant now.

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    You’ve gotta be able to listen to the other side without being aggressive.

Jessica is obviously just tryna help
    TCLA confuses me. On the one hand you get BNBR-style posts like this. On the other hand you get very aggressive/chippy posters that are all to happy to hide behind their anonymity and lash out. But when someone replies in kind it's back to BNBR. I think that more consistency either way would be nice. TSR and r/uklaw can turn into raging cesspits but at least you know where you stand!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    In my opinion the academic prizes question that most firms ask allows them to identify students who have performed better than the majority of their cohort
    There were no prizes at my university for my course. I could've got 100% in every single assessment and never would've been awarded a prize. In contrast, I know a course where over half of the students were awarded a prize of some kind.

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    TCLA confuses me. On the one hand you get BNBR-style posts like this. On the other hand you get very aggressive/chippy posters that are all to happy to hide behind their anonymity and lash out. But when someone replies in kind it's back to BNBR. I think that more consistency either way would be nice. TSR and r/uklaw can turn into raging cesspits but at least you know where you stand!

It’s just not that deep :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Just saw my rejection from Milbank vac scheme. Applied on the deadline.

Speaking as a dumb North American, I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum (which I only discovered a few weeks ago). Moved to London to be with my partner last year. It's been hella lonely + difficult figuring out how to best apply for vac schemes/training contracts. And although they probably don't know it, @Jessica Booker and @Celestie have hi-key given my applications a bit more of a fighting chance. Just need to keep rollin' with the punches/rejections.
    Awww tysm - dm is always open :) This is my first cycle so I am learning just like you :)

Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    BNBR?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.