2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Doing some interview prep and focusing on commercial awareness. How would you approach a question that asked what business other than a law firm you are interested in? Heard a few conflicting approaches so just trying to get more views on this.
Hiya,

It's likely that your interviewer will be more interested in the reasons for your chosen response rather than the response itself. My top tip is to be honest! Don't feel forced to say something that isn't true because you feel that is what they may want to hear. More often than not, your true answer will be a better judge of your personality, motivations and interests than saying something forced.

When thinking about potential answers consider the skills and activities you value within a career ( such as those you value within the role of a trainee at a commercial law firm) and focus on explaining these within your answer.

I'm answering based on the assumption that the question is regarding alternative careers so apologies if I misread this!

Best of luck ☺️

Jane

Standard Member
Aug 2, 2020
If that is what happened, your assessors will have picked up on that and will have marked those people down. They are unlikely to have strengthened their position in securing a TC, and if anything have undermined it.
You were absolutely right Jessica, and thanks all for the support - I got positive news! Feel very relieved that a sensible, respectful approach ultimately prevailed. Am very glad that the bullies did not win this time!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Haha we can both have the confidence boost! Tbf at this time even if they sent it to every single person, I’m still pretending they meant it 😂😂
    This is exactly my thought process, hoping it’s personal but totally fine if they’ve sent it to everyone else with l 3 rejections this week I need a boost!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.