2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parent

Feb 16, 2020
Bristows PFO post partner review of my VI. It was literally my dream firm and I know this isn't maybe the right place to vent but I'm actually so tired of this process I applied to over 17 firms and I'm considering that maybe I'm not cut out for this.
Don’t give up. Is it your first cycle? Took my kid 3 rounds 3 Vac schemes and eventually secured a direct TC with an MC firm. 10-20 applications per cycle. Each rejection helped increase their knowledge and awareness. This is a non Law grad who self funded their GDL but managed to get it funded retrospectively.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Thinking of writing a direct TC app to Skadden (knowing that they filled their places from the VS last year) and Paul Hastings (but have literally never been to any events with the firm/don't know of anyone who got an offer from there/not sure how many people they're even recruiting in the current circumstances) - would this all be a huge waste of time?

(Have graduated, done a masters, have work exp, a VS, pro bono work and got committee positions - but rn got the feeling I'm running out of firms to be rejected by lol)
    PH is completely non-rolling and the application window closes at the end of July so you have a long time to research!
    They also only do direct TC apps (they don’t run a VS)

Reactions: bibss and Daniel Boden

SJaou

Jan 11, 2021
    Does anyone know whether the Baker McKenzie app is supposed to have a cover letter? The brochure says to include one but there's no section for it on my form. Trying to work out if this is a glitch on the form or an error on the brochure. Thanks!

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Does anyone know whether the Baker McKenzie app is supposed to have a cover letter? The brochure says to include one but there's no section for it on my form. Trying to work out if this is a glitch on the form or an error on the brochure. Thanks!
    There was one when I applied for the TC in summer but I think they’ve removed it in this cycle!

Reactions: John Travoni

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Does anyone know anything about Brown Rudnick's recruitment timetable?
    Thinking of writing a direct TC app to Skadden (knowing that they filled their places from the VS last year) and Paul Hastings (but have literally never been to any events with the firm/don't know of anyone who got an offer from there/not sure how many people they're even recruiting in the current circumstances) - would this all be a huge waste of time?

(Have graduated, done a masters, have work exp, a VS, pro bono work and got committee positions - but rn got the feeling I'm running out of firms to be rejected by lol)

I'm not one for mushy motivational speeches but let me give you a bit of a positive boost as someone with a similar profile in a similar position: there are FAR TOO MANY firms in the UK for you to be rejected by all of them. You just have to be prepared to broaden your horizons.

This cycle I have managed to find 29 firms to apply for and I still have at least 10 left on my hit list (and growing!). Many of them are traditional city big dogs. But quite a lot are smaller, less well known firms which graduates probably aren't throwing themselves at quite so frequently. Just ask yourself what matters more in a difficult job market: the specific firm, or just getting into law at all?

There is a corporate partner at Linklaters who trained at a high street practice in Hull. While his career is a bit improbable, if you're good enough there is no reason why you couldn't end up somewhere really aspirational after you've trained! That's the way I'm viewing it anyway.

Edit: also, smaller more niche firms tend to have much easier app forms, no online tests and only do direct TCs. Could be worth it just for the ease of applying.

Reactions: Yoryis

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Freshfields AC! This is my first AC, if anyone has any tips I would be really grateful!!
    Hey, congrats on the AC!

As general prep, you might want to check out the three AC-orientated articles I've written recently:

Hope these help!! Best of luck with the AC

Reactions: SS1

Honor

Oct 11, 2019
    Hey, congrats on the AC!

As general prep, you might want to check out the three AC-orientated articles I've written recently:

Hope these help!! Best of luck with the AC
    Amazing- thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it :)

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Congratulations guys on the AC! Is anyone still waiting to hear back post-WG for Freshfields?

I did the test second week of Feb but my portal hasn't updated since 29/01 :/

Did the WGT for FF in the first week of Feb! Haven't heard back(haven't checked my portal update tbf but no idea if update means that the firm viewed your app and have made a decision(be it progression or rejection), or if it means if they merely viewed it and will make a decision after)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.