Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The issue with the age discrimination theory in my eyes, is that you are talking about an age difference in months in many cases, not years.

And in many cases a final year student could actually be younger than a penultimate year student (four year degrees, Scottish education system, people who have resat exams either at school/uni, gap years, people who have changed courses). I am not confident it is clear cut that the average age of a priority group would be significantly different than a non-priority group. But that’s just my opinion based on my experiences 🙃

Reactions: cmaj

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I promise I will stop after this one because again I don't mean to get into a brawl. I am just passionate about age discrimination as something we seem to care less about than other issues.

A. If you think discrimination is wrong,
B. If you think age is a protected characteristic,
C. A policy like CC's that disadvantages older applicants (as I have shown before) is wrong.

I am claiming the morality is simple because I am sure most people would agree with A and B. So if C is true (as I've argued before) the morality is clear. And on that, we can quibble about the legality of C but the morality...I don't think so...

But again, this is getting a bit off track. I just wanted to point out discrimination not get into a fight here so apologies if I offended anyone and I hope some of you will have a think about this issue.
There are an awful lot of assumptions in C though. That’s why we are discussing it.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Oh my god that might actually be it but I don't wanna be pitted against other disabled people wtf
    It’s the sort of thing a well meaning person might think ensures a level playing field but is actually kind of insulting. (Not because I think I’m better than other disabled people but because we should be judged with our cohort, imo.)

I mean, we’re probably barking up the wrong tree. All this waiting is making me crazy.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    How long ago did you originally chase?

When did the firm say they would get back to you originally?
    They said I would hear in 2 weeks. It was 3 weeks since my interview on Friday just passed and I emailed then asking when I might hear but haven’t had a response to that email.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    The issue with the age discrimination theory in my eyes, is that you are talking about an age difference in months in many cases, not years.

And in many cases a final year student could actually be younger than a penultimate year student (four year degrees, Scottish education system, people who have resat exams either at school/uni, gap years, people who have changed courses). I am not confident it is clear cut that the average age of a priority group would be significantly different than a non-priority group. But that’s just my opinion based on my experiences 🙃
    You can't only conceptualise the issue as one of final year students and penultimate year students. The issue is one of penultimate year students and everyone else with no upper boundary. Depending on the number of graduates that are applying it is very much a matter of years rather than months.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Oh my god that might actually be it but I don't wanna be pitted against other disabled people wtf
    I wasn’t exempt, but it would be very very odd if they did that. From my understanding with the person I spoke to there were about 12/13 people at her AC and I think they had 2 last week. Let’s presume this is 26 people, not all of them might be invited to VS and overall, there are 40 VS spaces. Might be best to just wait it out as frustrating as it is, I hope you hear good news soon😊

Reactions: Zay

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    It’s the sort of thing a well meaning person might think ensures a level playing field but is actually kind of insulting. (Not because I think I’m better than other disabled people but because we should be judged with our cohort, imo.)

I mean, we’re probably barking up the wrong tree. All this waiting is making me crazy.
    Yeah I deleted my OG post cause we may be barking up the wrong tree and I don't wanna put other people off the firm.

And dw, I completely agree. It feels uncomfortable to think we would be segregated from other applicants - doesn't sit well with me.

Reactions: Veep9 and OB

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I wasn’t exempt, but it would be very very odd if they did that. From my understanding with the person I spoke to there were about 12/13 people at her AC and I think they had 2 last week. Let’s presume this is 26 people, not all of them might be invited to VS and overall, there 40 VS spaces. Might be best to just wait it out as frustrating as it is, I hope you hear good news soon😊
    Dw, deleted OG post as I think me and Veep may be panicking a lil. Just a bit odd that they gave us a specific time frame and all exempt people I know haven't heard back. Fingers crossed though!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I wasn’t exempt, but it would be very very odd if they did that. From my understanding with the person I spoke to there were about 12/13 people at her AC and I think they had 2 last week. Let’s presume this is 26 people, not all of them might be invited to VS and overall, there are 40 VS spaces. Might be best to just wait it out as frustrating as it is, I hope you hear good news soon😊
    Thank you for being the voice of reason!

• Love
    Reactions: summer207

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You can't only conceptualise the issue as one of final year students and penultimate year students. The issue is one of penultimate year students and everyone else with no upper boundary. Depending on the number of graduates that are applying it is very much a matter of years rather than months.
    But that will be where the bulk of applications come from (in my experience).

We know those outside of penultimate year/non priority groups are still being hired too, so I think this concept that there is a significant age disparity between the average applicant and the average hire could be where we are wrong.

Just my opinion though based on my experiences.....

Last edited:
    Reactions: JT2023hopeful

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    Just seems like a way to filter out “undesirable” applicants. University, and the years after, allows everyone, regardless of backgrounds, to engage in many extra-curricular activities and develop their skills.

In regards to CC, which first year is going to have a better application? The state school educated person with no experiences and has only just started getting involved in EC activities, or the person who had a 50k a year private school education, both parents are lawyers, multiple legal work experiences under their belt, and has been preparing for interviews since the age of 11.

Give the former candidate a few years at university to build up their CV and get good grades and it is perhaps a bit more of an even process.

I appreciate it’s not as black and white and there will be loads of incredible candidates who do not come from privilege and are able to make a great application in first year. Also, as others have pointed I’m sure GR have done their research so what do I know haha

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.