2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
I have an utterly stupid and pedantic question that has been playing on my mind. Upon accepting a vacation scheme offer, would a firm perceive me badly if I did not post this on LinkedIn. I'm not fond of posting on LinkedIn for a few reasons and generally don't do so.

I know it's highly unlikely the firm would be stalking my LinkedIn page but I was just wondering since most people do tend to post their acceptances.
I don't think the firm would mind but my friend recommended I do so because people on Linkedin who also were going to do her scheme messaged her off that post so she said it allowed her to network with fellow VS participants before the scheme, just a thought it's deffo not necessary!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
What are the requirements to becoming a member of AS, and do you think it is beneficial? I feel like I need guidance and I’ve heard great things
Different events/schemes/programmes have different requirements but, in general, you must be one or more of:
  • are Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic; and/or
  • are educated in a state school non-selective comprehensive (whether in the UK or overseas) and first generation to attend university; and/or
  • are a refugee; and/or
  • are from a low income household; and/or
  • had free school meals from a state school non-selective comprehensive; and/or
  • have spent more than 3 months in local authority care; and/or
  • are disabled and/or who have and long term health conditions; and/or
  • are LGBT+.
For me, they were very beneficial. I was on AS Aspire 2018 which I believe was the first year of Aspire. I went to so many law firms and events and met so many people. I attended a workshop where someone from AS scared the life out of me and changed my entire perspective on everything. I got onto a firm mentor scheme which was amazing, I learnt so much. I would recommend it to everyone who's eligible.

• Love
Reactions: Zoo, TiredPG and Dheepa

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
In a similar vein, what would a potential firm think if they see you posting about a VS with another firm yet you are applying for a direct TC with said firm. I have had firms stalk me so this question dawned on me.

Also what happens if a (direct TC) firm will not wait for you to complete your VS before you have to accept that offer? Similarly, what would happen if your VS firm will not let you hold a TC offer whilst attending their VS. I am wondering how people navigate this situation.

Any thoughts on this?

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
In a similar vein, what would a potential firm think if they see you posting about a VS with another firm yet you are applying for a direct TC with said firm. I have had firms stalk me so this question dawned on me.

Also what happens if a (direct TC) firm will not wait for you to complete your VS before you have to accept that offer? Similarly, what would happen if your VS firm will not let you hold a TC offer whilst attending their VS. I am wondering how people navigate this situation.

Any thoughts on this?
In relation to the first question, I don't think that would be an issue as the fact you've applied for a direct TC shows you're clearly enthusiastic about the firm and the fact you have a VS shows you're a competitive candidate.

Regarding the second point, as unfortunate as it is the firms don't have to extend your offer so it may just be that you have to accept one and leave the other. I think the recommended time for an offer is until Sept for penultimate year students and 4 weeks for all others but again I think that is firm's discretion

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    What are the requirements to becoming a member of AS, and do you think it is beneficial? I feel like I need guidance and I’ve heard great things

Just to echo @LegalNim on this, I attribute a lot of my success in the previous cycle to the Aspire programme. The mentoring I received and all the help with my applications was really invaluable. I’d also recommend checking out the SEO London Corporate Law Programme. Very similar and have an excellent network of trainees who are very willing to help.

Last edited:
    Reactions: GK8997

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Just to echo @LegalNim on this, I attribute a lot of my success in the previous cycle to the Aspire programme. The mentoring I received and all the help with my applications was really invaluable. I’d also recommend checking out the SEO London Corporate Law Programme. Very similar and have an excellent network of trainees who are very willing to help.
    I second this with both AS and SEO- they both invest so much time and energy into the members and I think the advice they give you is so applicable for all firms not just their sponsor firms.

Reactions: J32 and sunflowerducks

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    In relation to the first question, I don't think that would be an issue as the fact you've applied for a direct TC shows you're clearly enthusiastic about the firm and the fact you have a VS shows you're a competitive candidate.

Regarding the second point, as unfortunate as it is the firms don't have to extend your offer so it may just be that you have to accept one and leave the other. I think the recommended time for an offer is until Sept for penultimate year students and 4 weeks for all others but again I think that is firm's discretion
    Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I heard about the 4 week turnaround time. I wondered about applying a bit late in the cycle to see if that strategy could mitigate such an issue. Of course, this assumes that I am even offered a TC.

Reactions: GK8997

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Any thoughts on this?
    Don’t think the firm would view a VS at another firm badly. Really just displays that you’re a great candidate and well worth their time considering for the TC.

With regards to your second question, you can always accept a TC and renege at a later date if you get a TC offer from a firm you prefer better. Not recommending you do this but it happens and there’s no real consequence unless you have accepted financial aid from the firm that you’d need to repay if you renege.

Reactions: Maculay

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    Cannot recommend AS highly enough. If you fall within their requirements - register. I got invited to random events which gave me great exposure to firms. I was also on this years Aspire programme - if you can, apply for it as well (sometime in the Summer). Any of the success I have had this cycle is due to that programme, and it has given me so much advice that I can apply to other applications.

• Love
    Reactions: GK8997 and Dheepa

Jennifer85

Sep 4, 2020
    Can I please ask your opinions? I applied to Cardiff University, The University of Law an BPP to do my LPC and have been accepted. I am now torn as to which one to accept. Cardiff is Russell Group, however the other universities are preferred by different firms I am still waiting to be rejected by. Which university would you accept?

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Also, what is an analytical written exercise and what is being tested? I've had several assessment centres etc and have never had this come up before?

Please don't answer if you've done Willkie's written exercise or are going to tell me what comes up. Not interested in cheating

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Can I please ask your opinions? I applied to Cardiff University, The University of Law an BPP to do my LPC and have been accepted. I am now torn as to which one to accept. Cardiff is Russell Group, however the other universities are preferred by different firms I am still waiting to be rejected by. Which university would you accept?
    Unless the firm is sponsoring you, I don’t think law firms really care where you do your LPC. I would suggest going for what is easiest for you!

Reactions: Jennifer85

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    I cant speak for Cardiff and ULaw, but I'm currently doing my GDL at BPP and its going well so far! The careers service is really good at helping with applications and giving feedback, and they host a lot of fairs/firm events which have been useful :)

Jennifer85

Sep 4, 2020
    I don't think anyone's heard from Debevoise - wonder when they'll get back to us
    I attended an event with them yesterday and they said the new closing date was an error and they have been experiencing IT issues. They said they will not be reviewing applications made after the original closing date and will get back to applicants in two weeks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.