2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
Behind The Scenes Dancing GIF by Boston Celtics
I ran to my mum who was outside slipped in the mud and lay crying on the grass covered in mud going 'omg i got it' whilst she jumped up and down screaming

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I need to write a statement in support of my application and I want to have your opinion on how to structure it.
This is the only question in the app.

Thank you

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

I need to write a statement in support of my application and I want to have your opinion on how to structure it.
    This is the only question in the app.

Thank you
    I would interpret it as a cover letter and would talk about why that firm, why law and why me.
    I don’t think you can go wrong with that structure.

Reactions: Dheepa

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Question about the WBD application - when discussing an innovative business or person, would it be appropriate to choose one you know personally? Or can you discuss a widely known business?
    So I chose one that I do know personally but not too well (involved 5ish years ago). That way if they bring it up at interview, I know the ins and out and won’t be too put off by questions but can also say that I’m no longer directly linked to them. Tbh I don’t think it matters as long as you describe why it’s innovative properly :)

Reactions: Jaysen

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I am so sorry man.. I know how you feel.. for me it’s the same way an AC that I’ve been waiting just over a week for a reply when they have offers just a few days later.. it’s clearly a rejection for me which I get but like it’s crazy that they make us wait man it’s the most frustrating thing.. I would say fingers crossed just try to focus on doing other things and trying it out it out of your mind.. then looking ahead and staying positive just in case. It’s super frustrating but I got you
    Heya, I'm sorry to hear this but I would also say don't lose hope, firms do make offers to people at different times so it doesn't necessarily mean you have been rejected just because others have heard before you, I really hope you hear positive news soon, I'm a firm believer of no news is good news!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hey guys! Looking for some advice that's maybe slightly different from my usual qs about big firms 😂

So when I was at a law fair this year I met a firm that's smaller, more regional, but extremely highly ranked with a whole bunch of training awards. I really, really like them, but this year having had the opportunity to apply to a bunch of midsize UK firms something I get questioned a LOT on is whether I really want to work there as opposed to a big corporate. From what I can discern from what I typically get asked, this seems to be because I speak a lot of languages, and for some reason firms seem to think this automatically translates (pardon the pun) to me wanting to work internationally. While international work is cool and I'd probably do it given the opportunity, I'm not applying to firms solely for that specific possibility!

When I looked at this regional firm's app form it did ask me to disclose what languages I speak and I'm immediately feeling hesitant because I'm getting flashbacks to my last interview with a UK firm where I was asked almost 3 times 'are you SURE you wouldn't prefer an international firm rather than us, given you speak Xish and Yese?'. But at the same time, it would be incredibly questionable for me to leave at least 2 of them off the app form considering I took them for A Level. This firm's application form doesn't really have a place where I could explain 'I learned this before I wanted to become a solicitor/this is my home language' so I'm worried they'll immediately go 'we don't do international work so this gal's clearly not going to be interested'.
    So now I'm in a total conundrum: if you guys were in this situation, what would you do? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or do you think the firm will probably see it as a positive and not care at all?

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Oh, sometimes you do! 😅 It got so bad that I was literally cringing for myself on camera.
    I trailed off in the middle of two answers, even ending one with “so, yeah ...” + 10 seconds of dead silence, and I got through.

If there’s one sure thing, it’s that this recruitment process makes no sense. It’s not a rejection until you get the email.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.