2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hey guys! Looking for some advice that's maybe slightly different from my usual qs about big firms 😂

So when I was at a law fair this year I met a firm that's smaller, more regional, but extremely highly ranked with a whole bunch of training awards. I really, really like them, but this year having had the opportunity to apply to a bunch of midsize UK firms something I get questioned a LOT on is whether I really want to work there as opposed to a big corporate. From what I can discern from what I typically get asked, this seems to be because I speak a lot of languages, and for some reason firms seem to think this automatically translates (pardon the pun) to me wanting to work internationally. While international work is cool and I'd probably do it given the opportunity, I'm not applying to firms solely for that specific possibility!

When I looked at this regional firm's app form it did ask me to disclose what languages I speak and I'm immediately feeling hesitant because I'm getting flashbacks to my last interview with a UK firm where I was asked almost 3 times 'are you SURE you wouldn't prefer an international firm rather than us, given you speak Xish and Yese?'. But at the same time, it would be incredibly questionable for me to leave at least 2 of them off the app form considering I took them for A Level. This firm's application form doesn't really have a place where I could explain 'I learned this before I wanted to become a solicitor/this is my home language' so I'm worried they'll immediately go 'we don't do international work so this gal's clearly not going to be interested'.
So now I'm in a total conundrum: if you guys were in this situation, what would you do? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or do you think the firm will probably see it as a positive and not care at all?
Heya, I personally think languages are a positive: normally firms have a 'native' option for if the language is a home language and also I don't think that everyone who takes a language for A Level remains at all fluent in it so I don't think they would necessarily question you if you left it off! I personally would put all of them down because learning multiple languages takes skill and discipline and resilience which are all necessary qualities for a lawyer, I am sad that any firm has taken something as amazing as this ( I WISH I could be fluent in multiple languages) as something negative!

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Hey guys! Looking for some advice that's maybe slightly different from my usual qs about big firms 😂

So when I was at a law fair this year I met a firm that's smaller, more regional, but extremely highly ranked with a whole bunch of training awards. I really, really like them, but this year having had the opportunity to apply to a bunch of midsize UK firms something I get questioned a LOT on is whether I really want to work there as opposed to a big corporate. From what I can discern from what I typically get asked, this seems to be because I speak a lot of languages, and for some reason firms seem to think this automatically translates (pardon the pun) to me wanting to work internationally. While international work is cool and I'd probably do it given the opportunity, I'm not applying to firms solely for that specific possibility!

When I looked at this regional firm's app form it did ask me to disclose what languages I speak and I'm immediately feeling hesitant because I'm getting flashbacks to my last interview with a UK firm where I was asked almost 3 times 'are you SURE you wouldn't prefer an international firm rather than us, given you speak Xish and Yese?'. But at the same time, it would be incredibly questionable for me to leave at least 2 of them off the app form considering I took them for A Level. This firm's application form doesn't really have a place where I could explain 'I learned this before I wanted to become a solicitor/this is my home language' so I'm worried they'll immediately go 'we don't do international work so this gal's clearly not going to be interested'.
So now I'm in a total conundrum: if you guys were in this situation, what would you do? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or do you think the firm will probably see it as a positive and not care at all?
If I were in your situation, I would put all the languages I speak because I see it as a positive but completely up to you! I don’t think speaking more than one language should automatically translate to wanting to do international work but I guess everyone is different😅

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I know there’s been an increase in applications but I’m so tired of waiting this long
    Tired Princess And The Frog GIF
    I genuinely feel so bad for GR - wish some law firms invested more money into HR this year so they weren't so overwhelmed.

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Oh, sometimes you do! 😅 It got so bad that I was literally cringing for myself on camera.
    I had a VI a few weeks ago and the first question really threw me - I rambled for a minute and a half and then could just see the panic in my eyes in the video and ended up just stopping the recording. I am still waiting for my rejection for that and I'm cringing at the thought of someone having to watch it!!!!

Reactions: Roomba and Andrew M

Mp4eng

Standard Member
    Feb 5, 2021
    I trailed off in the middle of two answers, even ending one with “so, yeah ...” + 10 seconds of dead silence, and I got through.

If there’s one sure thing, it’s that this recruitment process makes no sense. It’s not a rejection until you get the email.
    On my first ever VI - I had three questions. I never even answered the first because I did not understand it and actually said 'PASS'. Afterwards, on the feedback, the GR person was in stitches with me. They even considered progressing me because they could not believe someone had said it. They did not progress me though.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    So I chose one that I do know personally but not too well (involved 5ish years ago). That way if they bring it up at interview, I know the ins and out and won’t be too put off by questions but can also say that I’m no longer directly linked to them. Tbh I don’t think it matters as long as you describe why it’s innovative properly :)
    I also had a question about this - what points did you include/ what structure did you use for this?
    also when it says 'are there any lessons we can learn from them' does the 'we' mean WBD?

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    hi guys, would/could you be asked about negative press about the firm in an interview by any chance? have people experienced this? i wouldn't know how to approach it if i was asked such a question tbh

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    On my first ever VI - I had three questions. I never even answered the first because I did not understand it and actually said 'PASS'. Afterwards, on the feedback, the GR person was in stitches with me. They even considered progressing me because they could not believe someone had said it. They did not progress me though.
    omg that's acc amazing you did that hahahah

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I had a VI a few weeks ago and the first question really threw me - I rambled for a minute and a half and then could just see the panic in my eyes in the video and ended up just stopping the recording. I am still waiting for my rejection for that and I'm cringing at the thought of someone having to watch it!!!!

It’s when you do the weak smile at the end for 10 seconds in an attempt to seem like a “normal” person who behaves “normally”

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    "Can I phone a friend? 50/50?"

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Heya, I personally think languages are a positive: normally firms have a 'native' option for if the language is a home language and also I don't think that everyone who takes a language for A Level remains at all fluent in it so I don't think they would necessarily question you if you left it off! I personally would put all of them down because learning multiple languages takes skill and discipline and resilience which are all necessary qualities for a lawyer, I am sad that any firm has taken something as amazing as this ( I WISH I could be fluent in multiple languages) as something negative!
    If I were in your situation, I would put all the languages I speak because I see it as a positive but completely up to you! I don’t think speaking more than one language should automatically translate to wanting to do international work but I guess everyone is different😅
    Thanks so much guys!! I guess it would be best for me to put it down then!! Yeah it is really disappointing how some people seem to interpret it and be discounted for something I definitely can't control but hopefully I'll be able to convince 'em in the rest of the app ☺️

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I won't lie, I have considered sending grad rec an email saying "warning, this video contains material which some viewers may find disturbing"

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.