Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Very lucky.. I got two ACs and zero offers but we keep pushing. I would say do not worry about the pressure. You are a great candidate and that’s why you got a vac scheme. Focus on doing the basics well(smile, do your work well and be pro-active... and pressure? Forget that individual.. pressure can’t beat you.. you already beat it by getting an offer)

White & Case spring Vac scheme offer lol

LOOK AT YOU! That turnaround!!! Pressure can't beat you indeed...so beyond happy for you!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I know this might come across really badly (and it isn't intended at all) given how much stress/rejection/panic etc. is involved with the whole process, but here goes. In over 10 apps (am limited due to eligibility as second year non-Law), have only been invited to two ACs and received 1 VS offer (Silver Circle), which I guess mounts up the pressure to convert to a TC. I am just used to seeing people getting two/three vac schemes per cycle at my university. Is this to be expected? How would you deal with pressure of trying to convert?
    Doesn't come over badly at all! For what it's worth, this is actually quite a good conversion rate from 10 applications. For perspective, I was 12/13 apps, 3 ACs and 2 VSs which is roughly proportional to your experience. Conversion rates also vary massively by individual, some people will make 5 apps and receive 5 VS/ TC offers in a cycle, others will make 25 apps and get nowhere. As above, I was always somewhere in the middle and sounds like you're maybe similar.

In terms of pressure to convert, this is healthy pressure but don't ;let it get so much into your head that you start second-guessing everything you do and it negatively impacts your performance. For what it's worth, I would always advise that being an authentic version of yourself is one of the best ways to aid your conversion chances. Overarchingly, the firm wants to see you for you. That aside, obvious things like being timely, engaged, asking good questions, performing well enough in assessments etc are all important too but don't stress yourself so much that you become unable to perform to your best standards :)

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
    Me getting a vacation scheme offer

So Excited Reaction GIF

Me seeing that the TC conversion rate is less than 30%

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.